Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Friday, 2nd April 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari has called on Nigerians to remain united and not allow mischief-makers to divide the country.
Buhari made this called in his Easter message released through his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, tagged “President Buhari felicitates with Christians at Easter”.
The statement quoted Buhari as saying that, “We should not allow the antics of a few mischief mongers to fragment the unity and faith that the vast majority of citizens of this country cherish and believe in.”
“As I have said before, we are better and stronger as one nation under God.”
“I congratulate our brothers and sisters once again on this occasion and wish everyone a Happy Easter celebration.”
Nigeria’s Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao has arrived in Borno State on Thursday amidst the circumstances surrounding a missing Nigeria Air Force (NAF) fighter jet.
Upon arrival in Borno, Air Marshal Amao was briefed on on-going efforts to locate and recover the NAF Alpha Jet which went missing on Wednesday.
As previously reported by Naija News, the Nigerian Air Force declared one of its aircraft lost radar contact when on a mission.
The jet was involved in the anti-terror war against Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province when it lost radar contact.
Giving further updates on Thursday, NAF spokesman, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, in a statement, said the Chief of Air Staff “arrived Maiduguri this morning and was briefed on ongoing search and rescue efforts in connection with the missing Alpha Jet aircraft.
Gabkwet quoted Amao to have “urged pilots, engineers and technicians to remain undeterred and resolute in their commitment to ensuring that peace returns to the North East.”
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Thursday, announced that the continuous voter registration (CVR) exercise will resume by June 28, 2021.
According to the INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu who made the announcement during a press conference in Abuja, the exercise will be done nationwide and will continue till the first quarter of 2022.
He noted that the registration will be done in line with COVID-19 guidelines and protocols.
Yakubu however pointed out that Anambra State will be given priority attention at the moment because of the governorship election coming up in the state.
4. How $10million Armoured Helicopters Bought By Rivers State Were Diverted To Fight Boko Haram – Wike
The Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike on Thursday accused the Nigerian Air Force of diverting two armoured helicopters worth $10 million bought by the state government to fight crude oil theft and sea piracy in the state, to fight Boko Haram in the North-East.
The Peoples Democratic Party Governor in his statement warned that the state government will not hesitate to withdraw the gunboats it is about to present to the Army, Navy, and police if they are deployed for use in other states.
Wike made this claim at the presentation of twenty-nine (29) operational vehicles to the police at the relaunch of the Rivers State security outfit, known as C.4.I, at the Government House, Port Harcourt on Thursday.
The governor explained that his administration has continually demonstrated its resolve to rid the state of criminality through the provision of operational vehicles, gunboats, and other forms of support for the security agencies.
Former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Professor Charles Soludo has revealed details of what transpired during the assassination attempt on his life on Wednesday.
Soludo, a 2021 Anambra governorship aspirant was attacked during a political gathering on Wednesday which took place in his hometown of Isuofia in Anambra State, Naija News recalls.
Three policemen who were part of his security team were killed while the Anambra Commissioner for Public Utilities, Emeka Ezenwanne was also kidnapped by the gunmen.
Speaking personally on Thursday about the events that transpired on Wednesday evening, Soludo revealed that he was addressing the youths of Isuofia community and didn’t realize immediately that the place was under attack when he started hearing gunshots.
According to him, he first thought the security operatives were the ones shooting into the air as part of the excitement of the evening only to realize later that the place was under attack.
He explained further that there was continuous gun shooting for about 10 to 15 minutes during the attack and it was only when the shooting stopped that they all realized three policemen had been killed while the commissioner had also been kidnapped.
He condoled with the families of those who lost their lives in the incident and prayed for the quick rescue of the abducted commissioner.
The Federal Government on Thursday revealed that over 51million Nigerians have now been enrolled for the National Identity Number (NIN).
Naija News reports that this was disclosed by the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Pantami, during the weekly ministerial briefing organized by the Presidential Media Team, at the presidential villa, Abuja.
Pantami warned that failure to obtain the NIN could lead to between seven or 14 years imprisonment as stipulated by the Nigerian Constitution, no one should enjoy government services without the number.
According to the minister, registration for NIN is not optional, but a mandate by law.
He also warned that failure to enroll precludes defaulting citizens and residents from operating certain functions like using banks and communication services.
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has upheld the no-case submissions made by Raymond Dokpesi and his organization, Daar Investment, and Holding Company Limited over money laundering charges brought against them in the N2.1billion arms purchase deal under former National Security Adviser (NSA) Col Sambo Dasuki in 2014.
A three-man panel of the Court of Appeal on Thursday upheld the two appeals by Dokpesi and his company, thereby setting aside an earlier ruling of a Federal High Court, Abuja, which rejected the no-case submissions made by the appellants.
The appellants are in court based on a seven-count charge of money laundering and breach of the Procurement Act brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The decision by President Muhammadu Buhari not to officially transmit power to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has attracted a reaction from Arewa Youths Consultative Forum (AYCF).
The AYCF National president, Yerima Shettima in a reaction on Thursday said the President’s decision not to transmit power to Osinbajo can be better understood based on the circumstances surrounding Buhari’s trip.
According to Shettima, it will be abnormal if President Buhari would be gone for long and failed to transmit power to Vice President Osinbajo but if he won’t be away from Nigeria for long, and will return soon, then it’s okay not to transmit power.
The AYCF however noted that he doesn’t hold brief for the president and can’t talk authoritatively on circumstances surrounding the President’s medical trip to London.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of acting Chief Judge of the High Court of Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Justice Salisu Garba Abdullahi, as substantive Judge of the court.
Naija News reports that this was made known in a statement on Thursday by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the president, Femi Adesina.
According to the statement, Buhari is also seeking the Nigerian Senate to confirm the appointment.
President Buhari’s request was contained in a letter to the Senate.
The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, on Thursday, embarked on a nationwide strike, despite meeting with the Federal Government on Thursday.
Naija News had earlier reported that the Nigerian government on Wednesday signed a memorandum of acting with the National Association of Resident Doctors, following their plan to embark on a nationwide strike on the 1st of April, 2021.
The agreement was signed after the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige met with the leadership of NARD.
The meeting, which lasted for seven hours, deliberated on the issues raised by the aggrieved doctors in their Notice of Trade Dispute including the non-payment of salaries of some house officers, non-recruitment of house officers, abolishment of the bench fees for doctors undergoing training in other hospitals, non-payment of National Minimum Wage and hazard allowances.
The resident doctors noted that the strike was not meant to hurt Nigerians but to challenge President Muhammadu Buhari whose responsibilities amongst others is to care for Nigerians.