Troops of the Nigerian Army have cleared members of Boko Haram splinter faction – Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) – from five communities in Marte Local Government Area of Borno state.
Naija News had reported earlier that the deadly insurgents had hoisted their flag in parts of Marte LGA.
The insurgents repeatedly attacked the local government last week and captured it.
On Sunday, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru issued a 48-hour deadline for the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole to recapture Marte from Boko Haram terrorists.
Troops of Sector 1, supported by Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) and the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole successfully cleared terrorists from New Marte, Kironewa, Chukun Gudu, Duma Kura and Duma Gana apart from other villages on the routes.
Intelligence sources told PRNigeria that the troops encountered stiff resistance from the terrorists but successfully cleared many high calibre Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), laid on the axis to prevent the troops’ from advancing.
“Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs), planted on the roads by the insurgents against the advancing troops were equally destroyed as NAF aircraft continue to provide close air and interdiction support to the ground forces,” he said.
Maj Gen. Abdul Khalifa, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division of the Army and Commander Sector 1, Operation Lafiya Dole, said “Yesterday, we recaptured Marte after eliminating dozens of terrorists with a very minimal casualty on our part. The operation was successfully conducted with effective synergy and aggressive joint operation of the ground troops and Air Task Force working with credible intelligence”.