Connect with us


News

Okorocha Should Be Investigated Over Orlu Crisis – Imo govt

Published

on

Governor Hope Uzodinma-led government has charged relevant authorities to investigate the lawmaker representing Imo West Senatorial District, Rochas Okorocha, over the crisis in Orlu.

The Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General in the state, Cyprian Akaolisa, said the former Governor should be investigated over his silence on the crisis in Orlu.

Akaolisa made this call while speaking with newsmen in Owerri, the State capital over the weekend.

“It was unfortunate that the senator representing Orlu has said nothing throughout the period Orlu people were being killed. He said nothing throughout the period policemen were being killed; he said nothing.”

“But last week I saw his press statement when he visited the House of one traditional ruler and said the monarch was molested when the military asked him to lie on the ground because he failed to identify himself properly.”

“That is what attracted our senator representing Orlu, Chief Rochas Okorocha.”

“Orlu was burning and people were losing their lives and he said nothing, is that the kind of representation we need at the senate? I will call on the authorities to investigate the activities of Rochas Okorocha to ascertain whether he is involved in what is happening in Orlu.”

Meanwhile, the Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma has revealed that he was the one that brought soldiers into the Orlu community of the state.

Speaking at a press briefing on Friday through the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Barr. Cyprian Akaolisa, the Governor accused the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) led by Nnamdi Kanu of planning to use the Eastern Security Network (ESN) to cause trouble in the area.

Source: Naija News

is an Associate at Naija News. He is a news media enthusiast, he holds a degree in psychology and loves exploring and sharing about the enormous power that lies in the human mind. Email: [email protected], Instagram: adeniyidman

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Trouble As Ondo Chief Judge Accuses Akeredolu Of Plotting To Oust Her

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Ondo State, Justice Oluwatoyin Akeredolu has dragged Governor Rotimi Akeredolu before a federal high court plans to unseat her.

Naija News reports that Justice Inyang Ekwo has restrained Akeredolu, the state House of Assembly, Attorney-General and three others from taking any further steps in relation to the alleged probe of Justice Akeredolu.

Also restrained are the Attorney-General of the Federation, the National Judicial Council and the Inspector-General of Police.

This online newspaper gathered that reports had emerged that the Ondo government was planning to probe the Chief Judge over allegations made by Olupelumi Fagboyegun in a viral video.

Justice Akeredolu had claimed that the decision by the state government, through its former AG, Charles Titiloye, to refer the allegations made against her and the state’s judiciary to the House of Assembly for investigation, was an illegal act designed to remove her from office.

Ruling on an ex-parte application, Justice Ekwo granted all the four principal reliefs contained in the application moved by the plaintiff’s lawyer, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN).

He also ordered the service of all originating processes in the suit on the defendants and adjourned the case till March 5, 2021 for hearing of the plaintiff’s motion on notice.

“We fear that if there is no intervention of the court, we think it is a ploy to get her out of office. We believe it has political undertone,” Okutepa said.

Continue Reading

News

NCDC Records 634 New Cases Of COVID-19

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 634 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

Naija News reports that the new cases were reported in a post on the disease control agency’s Twitter handle on Thursday night, February 25, 2021.

The newly reported cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria to 154,476 which includes 131,699 discharged cases and 1,891 deaths.

Below is the breakdown of the latest cases according to states with Lagos State having the highest number of cases with 259 followed by Osun State with 45 cases.

Lagos-259 Osun-45 Edo-38 Ogun-35 FCT-33 Anambra-26 Imo-24 Ondo-24 Akwa Ibom-20 Plateau-20 Abia-19 Kaduna-19 Ebonyi-17 Borno-10 Rivers-10 Kano-9 Delta-8 Kebbi-7 Nasarawa-4 Oyo-3 Enugu-2 Ekiti-2

Continue Reading

News

Kwara Govt Reveals Position On Use Of Hijab In Public Schools

Published

on

The Kwara State government has revealed its stand on the use of hijab in public schools as well as grant-aided schools owned by churches.

The government in a statement on Thursday night declared that Muslim girls in all public schools in the state are now permitted to wear hijabs as part of their uniform.

This position was revealed in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Kwara State Government, Professor Mamma Sabah Jibril on the lingering controversy surrounding the use of hijab in grant-aided public schools in the state.

It also directed the Ministry of Education to come up with a uniform hijab for all public/grant-aided schools in the state.

It will be recalled as previously reported by Naija News that the state government had temporarily shut down 10 secondary schools in the state over the hijab controversy by female students in the grant-aided schools.

However, the statement on Thursday also approved the reopening of the schools as from Monday, 8th March 2021.

The statement containing the position of the state government on the matter reads: “Sequel to recent developments in our state over the status of the hijaab in public/grant-aided schools, the state government has consulted widely with thought leaders and leaders of both Muslim and Christian communities with a view to clarifying issues and reaching a consensus. The last of such meetings was held on Wednesday February 24, presided by His Excellency Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq.

At least 10 schools of interest were earlier shut down to maintain peace and public order as well as prevent mischief makers from taking undue advantage of the development. 

The state government has considered submissions of all major interest groups on the matter. It has also thoroughly considered the education law of Kwara State, the prevailing court judgments and current global trends of multiculturalism in evolving a consultation-based decision that will bring lasting peace and understanding to our communities. The government has also paid particular attention to the ‘declaratory’ nature of the subsisting judgments of the Court of Appeal and their purports.

Consequently, the government hereby acknowledges and approves the right of the Muslim schoolgirl to wear the hijab, and directs the Ministry of Education and Human Capital Development to come up with a uniform hijab for all public/ grant-aided schools, which will be the accepted mode of head covering in schools. Any willing schoolgirl with the approved (uniform) hijab shall have the right to wear same in public/grant-aided schools.

Also, the government affirms the right of every child in public schools to freedom of worship. 

The government hereby directs that the affected 10 schools should reopen to commence classes on Monday 8th March 2021. 

Similarly, the government has carefully noted submissions regarding ownership of grant-aided schools and related issues. While the status of these schools is the subject of judicial determination, this and other related matters will soon be subjected to a technical committee to advise accordingly. The government reassures all members of the public that it will act in good conscience at all times.

The government asserts that there is no victor or vanquished on the hijaab question. It urges the two faith communities, especially the leaders, opinion moulders and media personalities to act with restraint and great responsibility in their public utterances and actions, and continue to live in peace and harmony with one another. The government commends all the thought and religious leaders on both sides for their forbearance, understanding and commitment to peace. 

Meanwhile, the National Leadership of the Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities and Associated Institutions (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian (SSANU) has suspended its strike.

Naija News recalls that the university workers had embarked on a nationwide strike on the midnight of Friday, February 5, 2021.

But in a circular signed by General Secretary, NASU, Peters Adeyemi, and National President, SSANU, Mohammed Ibrahim, announced the suspension of their strike on Thursday.

Continue Reading