Connect with us


News

Nigeria Did Not Exit Recession By Accident – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has said Nigeria did not exit recession by accident or luck.

Speaking while featuring on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Saturday, Mohammed said the country exited recession due to the policies of the government such as the Special Public Works Programme, N-Power, Trader Moni, and other programmes.

He said: “We did not exit recession by accident, it was because of the hard work and the planning of the government.

“What we did was that we pumped money into the system, we did so by creating jobs, we did so through three major programmes: the first is the 1,000 jobs of public works that was given to each local governments and we have 774 local governments, When you have 774 young men working on public works, on roads, it goes a lot to boost your economy.

“There is what we call survival funds which the federal ministry of industry and investment supervised. One of the things we said we must do is that we must prevent loss of jobs and create new ones and we must make sure that MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) does not collapse. So, what did we do with survival funds? We asked companies to employ between five and 50 people, we gave them payroll support for about three months and that payroll support went to about 500,000 MSMEs.

“Then, we also did what we call a one-off grant whereby we gave N20,000 to artisans, hairdressers, keke napep (riders), and this went to about 333,000 such individuals.”

Naija News had earlier reported that Nigeria’s economy unexpectedly exited recession in the fourth quarter of 2020.

In a statement on Thursday, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said the economy grew by 0.11 percent.

The development comes after two consecutive quarters of negative growth which resulted in a recession.

Nigeria’s economy beat projections from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank, both of which predicted Africa’s biggest economy to exit recession in 2021.

Source: Naija News

Ige Olugbenga is a fine-grained journalist. He loves the smell of a good lead and has a penchant for finding out something nobody else knows. Gbenga is an alumnus of the prestigious Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State and The Polytechnic, Ibadan.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

‘Sheikh Gumi Right To Call For Amnesty For Bandits’

Published

on

The Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG) has backed calls by renowned Islamic cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Ahmad Gumi, that the government grant amnesty to bandits.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, the spokesperson of CNG, Abdul-Azeez Suleiman, said repentant bandits should be reorientated, reintegrated and re-assimilated back to the society.

According to Suleiman, the coalition decided to make its stand public due to attacks on northerners during the #EndSARS protests and the recent attacks in some parts of the region.

The group also backed the nationwide strike embarked upon by the Cattle and Foodstuff dealers under the aegis of Amalgamated Union of Foodstuff and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria (AUFCDN) to stop movement of food and cattle from the North to South.

He said: “We align directly with Sheikh Ahmed Gumi’s position with regards to constructive engagement, opportunity for amnesty leading to reorientation, reintegration and re-assimilation of those who embrace peace within a reasonable timeframe after which, resort can be made to force in crushing the recalcitrant ones.

“The CNG also stands solidly behind the resolve of the Amalgamated Union of Foodstuffs and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria to suspend further movement of goods to the South to press for compensation for losses suffered in the attacks.”

Suleiman added, “We salute the decorum, decency, morality, accommodation, civilization and etiquette shown by northerners whose refusal to be goaded into reacting to the assault clearly justified the South as the volatile and violent part of the country.

“We call the attention of all northerners to note that the drivers of the unrest and disturbances going on in the North and elsewhere are mere antics antics for political ascendancy by attempting to force a transfer of power by shattering the northern cohesion.”

Continue Reading

News

Trouble As Ondo Chief Judge Accuses Akeredolu Of Plotting To Oust Her

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Ondo State, Justice Oluwatoyin Akeredolu has dragged Governor Rotimi Akeredolu before a federal high court plans to unseat her.

Naija News reports that Justice Inyang Ekwo has restrained Akeredolu, the state House of Assembly, Attorney-General and three others from taking any further steps in relation to the alleged probe of Justice Akeredolu.

Also restrained are the Attorney-General of the Federation, the National Judicial Council and the Inspector-General of Police.

This online newspaper gathered that reports had emerged that the Ondo government was planning to probe the Chief Judge over allegations made by Olupelumi Fagboyegun in a viral video.

Justice Akeredolu had claimed that the decision by the state government, through its former AG, Charles Titiloye, to refer the allegations made against her and the state’s judiciary to the House of Assembly for investigation, was an illegal act designed to remove her from office.

Ruling on an ex-parte application, Justice Ekwo granted all the four principal reliefs contained in the application moved by the plaintiff’s lawyer, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN).

He also ordered the service of all originating processes in the suit on the defendants and adjourned the case till March 5, 2021 for hearing of the plaintiff’s motion on notice.

“We fear that if there is no intervention of the court, we think it is a ploy to get her out of office. We believe it has political undertone,” Okutepa said.

Continue Reading

News

NCDC Records 634 New Cases Of COVID-19

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 634 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

Naija News reports that the new cases were reported in a post on the disease control agency’s Twitter handle on Thursday night, February 25, 2021.

The newly reported cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria to 154,476 which includes 131,699 discharged cases and 1,891 deaths.

Below is the breakdown of the latest cases according to states with Lagos State having the highest number of cases with 259 followed by Osun State with 45 cases.

Lagos-259 Osun-45 Edo-38 Ogun-35 FCT-33 Anambra-26 Imo-24 Ondo-24 Akwa Ibom-20 Plateau-20 Abia-19 Kaduna-19 Ebonyi-17 Borno-10 Rivers-10 Kano-9 Delta-8 Kebbi-7 Nasarawa-4 Oyo-3 Enugu-2 Ekiti-2

Continue Reading