Connect with us


News

Kagara School Abduction: Details Of Meeting Between Sheikh Gumi And Niger Governor Emerges

Published

on

The Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello on Friday met with a prominent Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi to discuss how to secure the release of the kidnapped Kagara students and staff.

Before meeting the Governor, Naija News had previously reported that Gumi had on Thursday visited the bandits in the Tagina forest of Niger State.

Speaking shortly after meeting Gumi, the Niger State Governor debunked trending rumours that the kidnapped persons have been released.

Though he noted that efforts are in top gear to secure their release, Bello said they are yet to regain their freedom.

In his words: “Regarding the event of the past few days where we have two serious cases of kidnappings –the NTSA (Niger State Transport Authority) bus that was kidnapped (with passengers). And the second event took place at the Secondary School in Kagara.

“As at this moment, we do not have any additional information to give apart from the one given earlier on, yesterday. But I want to assure you that we are doing everything we can, we are interfacing with the local communities, with federal authorities and our own state authorities to ensure that we recover the victims safely.

“Our utmost priority right now is to make sure we bring them back home safe and that is exactly what we are going to do. So, there hasn’t been any information I can give you at this moment but once we have anything for you, we will let you know.”

Specifically, he also denied rumours that the abducted persons have regained their freedom when he said: “Everything that is being said out there is rumour and in situations like this, we cannot work with rumour, it has to be confirmed. Yes, we’ve been receiving different rumours from different people within villages but we are still treating those as rumour until processed and confirmed.”

On his part, Sheikh Gumi said he has presented the report of his finding s to the Governor after meeting the bandits in the forest.

He expressed optimism that the kidnapped persons would soon regain their freedom.

Addressing journalists after the meeting with the governor, Gumi said, “The outcome is very positive because if you have warring factions and each faction says that I have complaints and grievances which are very simple, I think there is hope.”

It will be recalled that some students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara were kidnapped by armed bandits on Wednesday who stormed the school premises around 2 am.

Apart from the staff and students kidnapped, a student was also killed by the bandits during the attack.

Source: Naija News

Content provider, creative writer, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things. You can reach out to me via [email protected]

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Breaking: Gunmen Storm Zamfara School, Abduct Female Students

Published

on

Some students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Talata Mafara local government area of Zamfara State have been abducted by gunmen.

According to Daily Trust, the abduction of the schoolgirls happened in the early hours of Friday.

A resident of Kawaye village identified as Sadi Kawaye disclosed that his daughters, Mansura and Sakina were among those abducted.

He said, “I’m on my to Jangebe now to see the situation myself. I was told they invaded the school around 1 am.”

The spokesperson of the Zamfara State Police Command, Muhammad Shehu, noted that he can say anything at the time of filing this react.

This is coming after Governor Abubakar Bello of Niger State claimed that the federal government had abandoned the state government to its fate to rescue students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara.

The governor said this on Thursday while playing host to former Abia State Governor and Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu who paid him a sympathy visit at the Government House, Minna.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Breaking News, Today, Friday, 26th, February, 2021

Published

on

This is a roundup of some breaking news in Nigeria for Today, Friday, 26th, February 2021.

Umahi ‘Descend Heavily’ On Aides For Exposing ‘Classified’ Documents To Online Newspaper

Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State has allegedly stopped the running costs and allowances for all his aides, accusing them of working with opposition media to bring down his administration.

It was gathered that the governor is annoyed with his appointees for allegedly providing ‘classified’ bank documents to Peoples Gazette – an online newspaper.

Read more details here

Bandits Reveal Why They Are Killing, Says Governors Give Them Money To Survive

Some killer herdsmen have stated that their inability to access quality education was responsible for their decision to take up arms and go into crimes.

Speaking with Daily Trust, one of them, who seemed to be the leader of the group, said President Muhammadu Buhari can only tackle insecurity by seeking international intervention.

Read more details here

IPOB: Nnamdi Kanu Vows To Hunt Down Governor Wike

The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has vowed to hunted Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State for atrocities allegedly perpetrated against Oyigbo people.

Naija News reports that the pro-Biafra activist made the threat in a post on his Twitter page on Thursday.

Read more details here

PDP Sends Strong Warning To APC Over Fani-Kayode, Others

The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Uche Secondus has warned the All Progressives Congress (APC) to leave former Aviation Minister Femi Fani-Kayode alone.

The warning was given by Secondus after a meeting with the former Aviation minister in the administration of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Read more details here

PDP Vs APC: What Secondus Discussed With Femi Fani-Kayode

The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, on Thursday, meet with a former Minister of Aviation Femi Fani-Kayode.

Secondus and Fani-Kayode were joined at the meeting at his residence by the PDP National Working Committee (NWC).

Read more details here

Continue Reading

News

How Some Govt Agencies Disobeyed A Directive From Osinbajo And Were Not Punished

Published

on

The Managing Director, Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Hadiza Bala Usman has accused some government agencies of disobeying a directive from Vice President Yemi Osinbajo which should have made work faster and easier.

According to the NPA boss, some agencies refused to obey the executive order signed by Prof Osinbajo on ensuring 24-hour port operations and synergy among such agencies.

She recalled that Osinbajo had given the directive in 2017 when he was the acting president of Nigeria.

Usman however lamented that some government agencies affected by the directive, intentionally disobeyed and are still disobeying the directive but nothing has been done to them in the form of sanctions or punishment.

She made her claims on Thursday while speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s ‘Sunrise Daily’ programme.

In her words, “If you recall there is an executive order that was signed by the Vice-President which directed all agencies of government to conduct inspection (of containers) in one location and that executive order was signed in 2017.

“Certain agencies of government have not complied and one of the things we have said is sanctioning for non-compliance of an executive order that was released cannot be done by the Nigerian ports.

“If an agency of government violates an executive order signed by the Vice-President, I believe the Vice-President and indeed the Presidency should sanction that agency for non-compliance but that has not been done. The executive order sought to have all agencies do inspection in one location hence consignees don’t have to have multiple areas of inspection.”

She added that she has taken necessary steps by reporting the matter to the Presidential Council on Ease of Doing Business chaired by Professor Osinbajo but nothing has been done to the erring agencies.

Usman lamented that it is bad enough for the agencies to have disobeyed the order but the failure of the presidency to address the non-compliance of the affected agencies is also an issue of concern.

She said: “There is an executive order to that extent. Some agencies have not complied. There have been several explanations and justifications for the non-compliance by these agencies. The NPA has raised it to the Presidential Council on Ease of Doing Business chaired by the VP to ensure sanctioning for non-compliance and as I keep saying, if a directive is given and agencies don’t comply, if there are no consequences for action and inaction that means I have not performed.

“We must be held accountable for not complying with a directive. For example, we have 24-hour port operation that has been directed. All agencies of government are required to deploy personnel to have 24-hour port operation. We deployed our personnel but the other legs were absent. And of course, we cannot sanction other agencies of government.

“We drew the attention to the Presidential Council on the Ease of Doing Business to ensure those agencies also participate in the 24-hour ports and that non-compliance has to be done by the Presidency arising from the executive order.”

Meanwhile, Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger State has revealed that the federal government had abandoned the state government to its fate to rescue students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara.

The governor said this on Thursday while playing host to former Abia State Governor and Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu who paid him a sympathy visit at the Government House, Minna.

Bello said that the federal government had left the state to shoulder all the financial responsibilities which the current spate of insecurity in the state has caused.

Continue Reading