The Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma has revealed that he was the one that brought soldiers into the Orlu community of the state.
Speaking at a press briefing on Friday through the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Barr. Cyprian Akaolisa, the Governor accused the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) led by Nnamdi Kanu of planning to use the Eastern Security Network (ESN) to cause trouble in the area.
He said the group, hiding under the pretext of chasing out Fulani herdsmen from the area plan to cause havoc in the community but he moved against them by bringing in the soldiers to maintain peace and secure the area.
He said further that the ESN had already killed several policemen and innocent residents of the area but he had to move to stop further bloodshed.
Naija News recalls the heavy military presence in Orlu has caused further tension in the area with a cross-section of Nigerians taking to Twitter to condemn the act and demand a withdrawal of the soldiers.
However, explaining the military presence, Governor Uzodinma said: “The attacks on police stations and killing of policemen during #Endsars were carried out by IPOB and not protesting youths for the sole purpose of hijacking and stealing weapons.
“They are now using those arms to destroy Orlu.
“They killed 10 policemen, a prominent Orlu son, Ignatius Obiezu, and one Emmanuel Okeke (Soludo) collected their Hilux vehicles
“The IPOB also shot and killed four Moslems doing their business in Orlu.
“IPOB said they were looking for herdsmen, but these victims they killed before the crisis, were they herdsmen?
“We heard Nnamdi Kanu celebrating the activities of his men in Orlu that they are doing well by killing innocent citizens. There’s no Fulani herdsmen in Orlu.
“So, we asked ourselves, what is the colouration that IPOB is trying to give this onslaught in Orlu?
“That’s why our government decided to invite military to flush out IPOB and their so-called ESN.
“We discovered that there was a camp which IPOB established at Umutanze, Orlu and we sent police to dislodge them. But, it happened that they attacked the policemen and killed two of them. It was after they killed those policemen that government had to bring in the military.
“It was not easy for the military to push them out of that place. But the military succeeded. That was why they came on a reprisal attack and killed the innocent ones.
“They also relocated to Udah in Orsu LGA, a camp at a boundary between Imo and Anambra States. The place is a very depressed groove that no one can easily enter.
“For the past two weeks, surveillance was monitoring that place and there were more than 200 people being trained in that camp. The military had to deploy their arsenal to diminish the IPOB people there.”
The governor expressed surprise that people could call for withdrawal of soldiers from Orlu.
“We can’t do that. We can’t fold our arms for these boys to continue to kill people everyday”
Meanwhile, the Imo State government has vowed to arraign suspected operatives of the Eastern Security Network arrested in the Orlu-Orsu area of the state for murder.
The Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in the state, Cyprian Akaolisa, stated this while speaking with newsmen on Friday.
Akaolisa in his statement described the security outfit as hoodlums, he added that they will be treated as murderers by the state government.
Source: Naija News
‘Sheikh Gumi Right To Call For Amnesty For Bandits’
The Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG) has backed calls by renowned Islamic cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Ahmad Gumi, that the government grant amnesty to bandits.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, the spokesperson of CNG, Abdul-Azeez Suleiman, said repentant bandits should be reorientated, reintegrated and re-assimilated back to the society.
According to Suleiman, the coalition decided to make its stand public due to attacks on northerners during the #EndSARS protests and the recent attacks in some parts of the region.
The group also backed the nationwide strike embarked upon by the Cattle and Foodstuff dealers under the aegis of Amalgamated Union of Foodstuff and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria (AUFCDN) to stop movement of food and cattle from the North to South.
He said: “We align directly with Sheikh Ahmed Gumi’s position with regards to constructive engagement, opportunity for amnesty leading to reorientation, reintegration and re-assimilation of those who embrace peace within a reasonable timeframe after which, resort can be made to force in crushing the recalcitrant ones.
“The CNG also stands solidly behind the resolve of the Amalgamated Union of Foodstuffs and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria to suspend further movement of goods to the South to press for compensation for losses suffered in the attacks.”
Suleiman added, “We salute the decorum, decency, morality, accommodation, civilization and etiquette shown by northerners whose refusal to be goaded into reacting to the assault clearly justified the South as the volatile and violent part of the country.
“We call the attention of all northerners to note that the drivers of the unrest and disturbances going on in the North and elsewhere are mere antics antics for political ascendancy by attempting to force a transfer of power by shattering the northern cohesion.”
Trouble As Ondo Chief Judge Accuses Akeredolu Of Plotting To Oust Her
The Chief Judge of Ondo State, Justice Oluwatoyin Akeredolu has dragged Governor Rotimi Akeredolu before a federal high court plans to unseat her.
Naija News reports that Justice Inyang Ekwo has restrained Akeredolu, the state House of Assembly, Attorney-General and three others from taking any further steps in relation to the alleged probe of Justice Akeredolu.
Also restrained are the Attorney-General of the Federation, the National Judicial Council and the Inspector-General of Police.
This online newspaper gathered that reports had emerged that the Ondo government was planning to probe the Chief Judge over allegations made by Olupelumi Fagboyegun in a viral video.
Justice Akeredolu had claimed that the decision by the state government, through its former AG, Charles Titiloye, to refer the allegations made against her and the state’s judiciary to the House of Assembly for investigation, was an illegal act designed to remove her from office.
Ruling on an ex-parte application, Justice Ekwo granted all the four principal reliefs contained in the application moved by the plaintiff’s lawyer, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN).
He also ordered the service of all originating processes in the suit on the defendants and adjourned the case till March 5, 2021 for hearing of the plaintiff’s motion on notice.
“We fear that if there is no intervention of the court, we think it is a ploy to get her out of office. We believe it has political undertone,” Okutepa said.
NCDC Records 634 New Cases Of COVID-19
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 634 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.
Naija News reports that the new cases were reported in a post on the disease control agency’s Twitter handle on Thursday night, February 25, 2021.
The newly reported cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria to 154,476 which includes 131,699 discharged cases and 1,891 deaths.
Below is the breakdown of the latest cases according to states with Lagos State having the highest number of cases with 259 followed by Osun State with 45 cases.
Lagos-259 Osun-45 Edo-38 Ogun-35 FCT-33 Anambra-26 Imo-24 Ondo-24 Akwa Ibom-20 Plateau-20 Abia-19 Kaduna-19 Ebonyi-17 Borno-10 Rivers-10 Kano-9 Delta-8 Kebbi-7 Nasarawa-4 Oyo-3 Enugu-2 Ekiti-2
634 new cases of #COVID19Nigeria;
1,891 deaths pic.twitter.com/Ne8r3ASHFX
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) February 25, 2021