Connect with us


News

Kagara School Abduction: IGP Deploys Human And Operational Assets To Niger State

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu has assured Nigerians that the kidnapped students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara, will be safely returned home.

This is as he announced on Thursday the deployment of additional oficers and gadgets to Niger State to go after the abductors.

The IGP in a statement released through the Force Public Relations Officer, CP Frank Mba said the Police remain committed to the safe rescue of all those kidnapped.

It will be recalled as previously reported by Naija News that some students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara were abducted from the school premises around 2 am on Wednesday by armed bandits.

One of the students was killed in the process while others were taken away by the kidnappers.

However, the Police has assured that with the depolyment of additional assets including a helicopter for aerial surveillance, all abducted persons will be safely returned.

The statement read, “The Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has assured the nation that the Force is irrevocably committed to the safe rescue of all abductees in the recent attack on Government Science College, Kagara in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State and other related incidents.

“The IGP notes that a joint massive search and rescue mission involving the Police, the Military and other law enforcement agencies is ongoing to ensure that all abducted persons are rescued unhurt and reunited with their families.

“To give impetus to the rescue operation, the IGP has ordered the deployment of additional tactical, intelligence and investigative assets of the Force including four units of Police Mobile Force attached to Operation Puff Adder II, one Unit of Police Special Forces, personnel of the Counter-Terrorism Unit and operatives from the Force Intelligence Bureau and the Force Criminal Investigations Department. One police aerial surveillance helicopter has also been deployed.

“The Police component of the search and rescue operation is being coordinated by the Commissioner of Police, Niger State who is effectively harnessing all the deployed resources and working in sync with the Military and other law enforcement agents in ensuring an intelligence-driven, focused and result-oriented ground and aerial surveillance in the rescue operations and to bring the perpetrators to book.

“The Inspector-General of Police, while calling for calm, has enjoined members of the community to provide the Force and the security community with useful, relevant, and timely information that can assist in the ongoing search and rescue operations.”

Meanwhile, the immediate past Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Tukur Buratai (Rtd) has said it will take Nigeria twenty years to tackle Boko Haram, bandits, killer herdsmen and other security challenges.

Naija News reports that Buratai stated this when he appeared before the Senate for his ambassadorial nomination screening on Thursday.

Source: Naija News

Content provider, creative writer, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things. You can reach out to me via [email protected]

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NCDC Records 634 New Cases Of COVID-19

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 634 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

Naija News reports that the new cases were reported in a post on the disease control agency’s Twitter handle on Thursday night, February 25, 2021.

The newly reported cases bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria to 154,476 which includes 131,699 discharged cases and 1,891 deaths.

Below is the breakdown of the latest cases according to states with Lagos State having the highest number of cases with 259 followed by Osun State with 45 cases.

Lagos-259 Osun-45 Edo-38 Ogun-35 FCT-33 Anambra-26 Imo-24 Ondo-24 Akwa Ibom-20 Plateau-20 Abia-19 Kaduna-19 Ebonyi-17 Borno-10 Rivers-10 Kano-9 Delta-8 Kebbi-7 Nasarawa-4 Oyo-3 Enugu-2 Ekiti-2

Continue Reading

News

Kwara Govt Reveals Position On Use Of Hijab In Public Schools

Published

on

The Kwara State government has revealed its stand on the use of hijab in public schools as well as grant-aided schools owned by churches.

The government in a statement on Thursday night declared that Muslim girls in all public schools in the state are now permitted to wear hijabs as part of their uniform.

This position was revealed in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Kwara State Government, Professor Mamma Sabah Jibril on the lingering controversy surrounding the use of hijab in grant-aided public schools in the state.

It also directed the Ministry of Education to come up with a uniform hijab for all public/grant-aided schools in the state.

It will be recalled as previously reported by Naija News that the state government had temporarily shut down 10 secondary schools in the state over the hijab controversy by female students in the grant-aided schools.

However, the statement on Thursday also approved the reopening of the schools as from Monday, 8th March 2021.

The statement containing the position of the state government on the matter reads: “Sequel to recent developments in our state over the status of the hijaab in public/grant-aided schools, the state government has consulted widely with thought leaders and leaders of both Muslim and Christian communities with a view to clarifying issues and reaching a consensus. The last of such meetings was held on Wednesday February 24, presided by His Excellency Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq.

At least 10 schools of interest were earlier shut down to maintain peace and public order as well as prevent mischief makers from taking undue advantage of the development. 

The state government has considered submissions of all major interest groups on the matter. It has also thoroughly considered the education law of Kwara State, the prevailing court judgments and current global trends of multiculturalism in evolving a consultation-based decision that will bring lasting peace and understanding to our communities. The government has also paid particular attention to the ‘declaratory’ nature of the subsisting judgments of the Court of Appeal and their purports.

Consequently, the government hereby acknowledges and approves the right of the Muslim schoolgirl to wear the hijab, and directs the Ministry of Education and Human Capital Development to come up with a uniform hijab for all public/ grant-aided schools, which will be the accepted mode of head covering in schools. Any willing schoolgirl with the approved (uniform) hijab shall have the right to wear same in public/grant-aided schools.

Also, the government affirms the right of every child in public schools to freedom of worship. 

The government hereby directs that the affected 10 schools should reopen to commence classes on Monday 8th March 2021. 

Similarly, the government has carefully noted submissions regarding ownership of grant-aided schools and related issues. While the status of these schools is the subject of judicial determination, this and other related matters will soon be subjected to a technical committee to advise accordingly. The government reassures all members of the public that it will act in good conscience at all times.

The government asserts that there is no victor or vanquished on the hijaab question. It urges the two faith communities, especially the leaders, opinion moulders and media personalities to act with restraint and great responsibility in their public utterances and actions, and continue to live in peace and harmony with one another. The government commends all the thought and religious leaders on both sides for their forbearance, understanding and commitment to peace. 

Meanwhile, the National Leadership of the Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities and Associated Institutions (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian (SSANU) has suspended its strike.

Naija News recalls that the university workers had embarked on a nationwide strike on the midnight of Friday, February 5, 2021.

But in a circular signed by General Secretary, NASU, Peters Adeyemi, and National President, SSANU, Mohammed Ibrahim, announced the suspension of their strike on Thursday.

Continue Reading

News

Bauchi Governor Approves N32m To Vaccinate Cows In The State

Published

on

The Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed has approved the sum of N32m for the vaccination of 800,000 cows in the state.

The Governor disclosed this on Wednesday at the launch of the 2020/2021 annual livestock vaccination campaign held at the Galambi Cattle Ranch.

The sum will cover staff participating in the exercise, purchase of materials needed and the actual vacinnation of the cattle, Naija News understands.

In his words, “We have released over N32m for this exercise which will cover vaccines, equipment and allowances for our staff to do this exercise.”

The Ministry for Local Government has been directed to pay the allowances of all the participating staff in the 20 local government areas, as well as to purchase more materials to vaccinate more than 800,000 herds of cattle.” he said.

As previously reported by Naija News, the Governor at the same event also appealed to Fulani herdsmen not to carry or use AK-47 guns.

The Governor begged the herdsmen to remain peaceful even if they face any provocation.

He praised the simplicity of the Fulani herders, appealed to them to ignore his figurative allusion to the use of AK-47 guns and always show their humane and peaceful character.

Mohammed promised to continue to defend them against any form of criminal profiling just as he has always done.

In his words: “What I will do, I will not say it here, but I will do everything possible to make sure I protect you and lend support to you because I know you mean well.

“Through time and history, you have been seen to be cajoled, and lampooned but you remained humane, you remained simple, you don’t show so much aggression and of course, that humility is always what we recognized and this is what a character that should always try to show.

“Please, don’t carry the AK-47 that I made a figurative allusion to. Try to make sure that you remain peaceful.”

Meanwhile, Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State has urged the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, to prove his claim that he is sponsoring terrorism.

Recall that Ortom has accused the Bauchi governor of being a member of the Fulani terrorists terrorizing Nigeria.

The Benue state governor also stated that Bala Mohammed should be held if anything happens to him.

Continue Reading