The Federal Government condemned those calling for the International Criminal Court to probe the former Service Chiefs, describing such calls as unpatriotic.
Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari had last week accepted the resignation of ex-service chiefs —General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Chief of Defence Staff); Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai (Chief of Army Staff); Vice Admiral Ibok Ibas (Chief of Naval Staff); and Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar (Chief of Air Staff).
He replaced them with Major-General Leo Irabor as Chief of Defence Staff; Major-General Ibrahim Attahiru as Chief of Army Staff; Rear Admiral A.Z Gambo as Chief of Naval Staff; and Air-Vice Marshal I.O Amao as Chief of Air Staff.
Following the former service chiefs removal, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), some pressure groups and individuals called on the ICC to begin probe of the immediate-past service chiefs.
But speaking on Tuesday during a Radio Nigeria programme, Politics Nationwide, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed said such calls were unpatriotic.
He said: “To the best of my knowledge, our service chiefs obey the rules of engagement and where there are infractions, there are internal regulations and internal mechanisms to address them.
“Those who are calling for the ex-service chiefs to be invited to ICC are unpatriotic people.”
The Minister also slammed Nigerians over talking about military structures and formation, a topic they know little about, according to the minister.
“Those who talk about the structure, what do they know about the structure of the military? I don’t think any of us is competent to talk about the structure of the military,” he said.
He assured Nigerians that the new service chiefs have hit the ground running and would ensure Nigeria overcome the insurgency war in the North-East and in other parts of the country.