Connect with us


Nigeria News

Nigeria Immigration Confirms Re-opening Of Land Borders

Published

on

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has confirmed that it has complied with the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari on the re-opening of four major land borders in the country.

This development was confirmed by the NIS Public Relations Officer, Mr Sunday James in a statement in Abuja on Friday, 18th December.

Naija News recalls the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, on Wednesday after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, announced the approval of the President on the reopening of Nigeria’s land borders which had been closed since August 2019.

The Immigration Service says it has now complied with the directive from the federal government as its personnel have been briefed appropriately noting however that full COVID-19 protocols will be deployed in the movement of persons through the borders.

“In compliance with the directive of the Federal Government, the following four land borders have been re-opened,” the NIS statement noted.

“The borders are; Seme in South-West, Illela in the North-West, Maigatari in the North-West and North-East and Mfum, South-South respectively.

“Also, the Comptroller General of NIS has directed the head of the service formation at these borders posts to comply and remove restrictions of human movement.

“The head of the service formation at these borders have equally been instructed to avoid unethical practices and unprofessional conducts.

“All persons entering or exiting the country must hold valid travel documents as prescribed in the immigration Act 2015 and to observe COVID-19 protocols.

“Lastly, we advise that all travelers to pass through only these four designated authorised borders posts pending the re-opening of others,” James noted.

Meanwhile, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha has declared the second wave of the virus in Nigeria.

SGF Mustapha stated this on Thursday during the daily media briefing of the COVID-19 Task Force.

Aviation Minister Hadi Sirika, who represented the COVID-19 positive SGF, said Nigeria has entered a second wave of infections and stands the risk of losing the gains from the hard work of the last nine months.

He stated that if Nigerians adhere to the Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions (NPIs) and step up testing and detection, loss of lives will be minimized and the rising curve will begin to flatten out.

Passionate writer, content provider, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things.