Kankara: Nigerian Army Gives Update On Number Of Missing Kankara Schoolboys
The total number of abducted Government Science Secondary School, Kankara students has been confirmed by the Nigerian Army.
Speaking during a live broadcast on Monday, December 14, the Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche disclosed that 333 students were missing from the school register as at the time he was appearing live.
Naija News reports that Enenche made this known while appearing live on Channels Television’s Politics a few hours ago.
According to him, the school principal clearly stated earlier that the school had a total of 839 students and not less than five hundred went missing shortly after the gunmen’s visitation.
He, however, confirmed that some of the students who went to the hiding returned shortly after the attack and yet about 333 are yet to be accounted for.
“The principal reported that he had 839 in the boarding house; and as at the time they were abducted, shortly after that, some came back and it was about five hundred plus that did not return,” Eneche said.
He added, “As at 2 pm yesterday (Sunday), the students that could not be accounted for reduced to 333. Out of that 333, before I came into the studio, one escaped out of wherever they kept them.”
Giving more details on the incident, Eneche noted that the kidnappers used motorcycles to convey the school children into the bush from where some of the students escaped.
He said; “That is their usual characteristics – those abductors. It is the same system; the same approach they used. There was no evidence, no information about them using other modes of transport.”
Meanwhile, unknown gunmen reportedly abducted at least 19 people, killed one in the Rafi Local Government Area of Niger state on Monday, December 14, Naija News reports.