Connect with us


Nigeria News

5 Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Borno Town

Published

on

Boko Haram: ISWAP Appoints New ‘Governor Of The Lake Chad’

A report from an undisclosed source from the Nigerian army base in Askira town of Borno State claimed that at least, five people have been killed by Boko Haram terrorists in the state.

Speaking with newsmen on Sunday, December 13, the source revealed that the victims of the attack involved a soldier and four civilians.

Naija News learnt that the deadly terrorist group stormed Akira on the last Saturday in about 15 gun trucks and began to fire gunshots on the army base. Reports revealed that the attack was carried out at about 1 pm on Saturday.

It was reported that a master warrant officer, one vigilante and three other civilians were already killed before the insurgents were repelled by a fighter jet.

Reporting the incident, the undisclosed source said, “They came into town in about 15 gun trucks and attack our arms store. But it was empty as they had earlier stolen our arms and ammunition. They killed one master warrant officer.”

He added, “Soldiers ran for cover because the terrorists outnumbered us, but a fighter jet came and attacked the insurgents. Three of them were killed and four of their gun trucks were destroyed. Many of the attackers were injured, but they destroyed one army gun truck.”

On his part, a local who also demanded that her name should not be on the print told newsmen that after the terrorists were repelled by the fighter jet, “they went into the village shooting indiscriminately, killing four residents, including a vigilante.”

“We got a warning call from the neighbouring village that some people had sighted the terrorists. Around 1pm, we heard gunshots,” She added.

She noted that the gunshots forced them to hide till it was dark enough for them to sneak into the town.

The Army spokesman, Brig. Gen. Sagir Musa, as at the time this report was given is yet to respond to inquiries on the incident. Attempts to reach him on phone failed as he did not respond to phone calls and text messages, Naija News understands.

However, a statement by the spokesperson, Operation Lafiya Dole, Col. Ado Isa, confirmed the attack, noting that that the insurgents also suffered heavy losses from the troops of 28 Task Force Brigade.

His statement reads in part: “On December 12, 2020, Boko Haram terrorists attempted to attack Askira Uba in Borno State. The terrorists were suspected to have come from Sambisa Forest, mounted on over 15 gun trucks and approached the town from different directions simultaneously. Troops responded and engaged the criminals with superior fire power.

Meanwhile, the Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP) has reportedly replaced Goni Maina, the former commander who was killed on December 1 in an air raid jointly conducted by the Nigerian army and the air force.

A content writer, journalist, graphic designer, and Gospel Music Minister. Playing football is Richard's main hobby.