Nine students of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna state, who were recently kidnapped, have reportedly regained their freedom.
NaijaNews learnt that the abductors carried out their attacks on motorists along Kaduna-Abuja road on Sunday.
We further learnt that the Department of French, were travelling to Lagos for a programme at the Nigerian French Language Village (NFLV) in Badagry.
One of the students who escaped Dickson Oko, said the kidnappers had already reached out to the families of the students to demand N30 million each for their freedom.
Speaking with newsmen today, Ashiru Zango, ABU’s chief security officer, confirmed that he had received said information that the students have been released.
He however noted that he was still awaiting details for the head of the French department.
Zango asked this reporter to call back for further details.
“I am still awaiting details from the (French) head of department,” he said.
“But someone told me that they have been released.”
Corroborating Zango’s assertion, Julius Mutum who said he is a brother to one of the victims, tweeted that his sister has been released.
“Some of the #ABU9 including my sister have just regained their freedom. Strictly by family efforts. Thank you @TheAbusite for lending your voice when everyone including govt and security agents didn’t care,” he tweeted.