The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Wednesday, 4th of November 2020 opened a preliminary inquiry into the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgates in Nigeria.
Naija News recalls that the ICC received information on alleged crimes during the protests, which were organised under the #EndSARS campaign in October,
In response to the protests, Mohammed Adamu, inspector-general of police (IGP), announced the dissolution of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) — a unit that had been accused of extrajudicial killings.
However, Speaking On the recent development, ICC says it has opened a preliminary inquiry into the demonstrations against harassment and brutality by the police. The ICC also said that the inquiry will begin with “whether the legal criteria for opening an investigation under the Rome Statute are met”.
The development is coming after a number of civil society organisations (CSO) threatened to report some heads of security agencies to the ICC over the conduct of their personnel during the demonstrations, popularly called #EndSARS protests.
However, Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, has since dismissed the threats to report him and some heads of security agencies to the ICC and other international authorities.
“They have continually threatened to report the NA to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and also threatened various forms of sanctions against personnel and their families,” Buratai had said.
“Criminal elements are threatening us with travel ban but we are not worried because we must remain in this country to make it better.”