The governor of Lagos State, Nigeria’s commercial city, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has insisted that only two unarmed #EndSARS protesters were killed at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday, October 20.
Since the #LekkiMassacre, several Nigerians have been attacked by security agents across the country, at a time Nigerians have been asking #WhoOrderedLekkiMassacre.
On Monday, October 26 during a live interview on CNN, the Lagos Governor disclosed that according to CCTV footage gotten from the scene of the shooting, officers of the Nigerian Army were responsible for the attack.
Last week, Obianuju Udeh, a popular Nigerian disc jockey as DJ Switch, said she and other #EndSARS protesters counted 15 corpses at the Lekki toll gate when men in army uniform opened fire on peaceful protesters.
Recounting the Lekki massacre in a video shared on her Instagram page on Friday, October 23, DJ Switch said at least 15 persons were shot dead on the night while several others sustained injuries of varying degrees.
The popular Nigerian disc jockey said soldiers of the Nigerian army and officers of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) — including the now-disbanded special anti-robbery squad (SARS) — shot at #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate camping ground.
“We were teargassed. We would run and come back and the only thing we fought with was our flags. We would sit on the floor and raise our hands up, waving the flags and singing the national anthem. That’s all we had,” she said.
However, speaking to Becky Aderson of CNN on Monday, Governor Sanwo-Olu said: “Two dead bodies, that is what we have seen from all the morgues, that’s what we have seen going to hospitals, that’s what we have seen as a record.
“What has happened is that there have been so many footages that were seen, that people have shown, but we have not seen bodies, we have not seen relatives, we have not seen anybody truly coming out to say I am a father or a mother to someone and I cannot find that person. Nobody has turned up. I have been to the ground; there is no scratch of blood anywhere there.
“From the footage that we could see, because there were cameras at that facility, it seems to me that they would be men in military uniform. That’s what the footage shows.”
Download NAIJA NEWS app: