Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, on Tuesday, noted that two persons were killed by security operatives in the Lekki toll gate shooting last week Tuesday.
There have been confused over the number of protesters killed in the Lekki massacre.
Gov. Abiodun while speaking at a peace consolidation meeting of stakeholders with the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Mr. Adeleye Oyebade, at the Arcade Ground, Governor’s Office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta noted that figures flying around are aimed at hyping the incident.
Abiodun recalled that “there was someone who was at the scene of the incident that day that was on live video, broadcasting that 70 people have died, hundred people have died, there’s blood all over the whole place.”
He further stated that the report made him reach out to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State to confirm the number of people killed.
“That night, we started going round to all the hospitals around Lekki, Ikoyi and the Island; we went to all the morgues; called for people who have missing corpse to come and report. First day, second day, third day and up till now, the number of deaths, I don’t think it has gone past two. I am not sure it has gone past two,” Ogun governor said.
Abiodun added that “Since that day, nobody has come to say we are reporting a missing person; and some people continue to plant that seed of discord. We need to stop. We need to be more patriotic, this is not who we are. We should also be more circumspect.”
He, however, condemned the shooting, he said, “We condemn the shooting of anyone – civilian, police or military. We do not believe the military should come and shoot people who are protesting. We did not support it in any language. It is not tenable and not acceptable.”