Connect with us


News

Top Boko Haram Commander Surrenders To Nigerian Army Troops

Published

on

Boko Haram

The Defence Headquarters has confirmed that a top Boko Haram commander has surrendered to the Nigerian Army troops in Borno State.

Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, disclosed this while giving a weekly update on the operation of Armed Forces of Nigeria on Thursday in Abuja.

The period under review by the Military covered operations that took place between Sept. 17 and Sept. 23, 2020.

Enenche during the media briefing, disclosed that the unnamed top Boko Haram commander surrendered himself along with his four wives.

He said the success was as a result of a sustained offensive by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole through air and ground operations on terrorists’ enclaves at different locations in Borno, Yobe, Taraba and Adamawa.

He added that caches of arms and ammunition, as well as equipment and motorcycles, were also recovered during different operations within the period while the army also rescued many victims from the insurgents.

Meanwhile, in a related development, Naija News previously reported that troops of the Nigerian Army have killed several top commanders and fighters of the Boko Haram terrorist group close to Lake Chad in Kukawa LGA, Borno.

This was disclosed by the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

Enenche said that the troops attached to Operation Lafiya Dole destroyed several camps used by the terrorists located at Tunbun Gini, Tunbun Nbororo, Tunbun Kayoma, Tunbun Kaza, and Tunbun Fulani during the operation.

According to the army general, some of the top Boko Haram/ISWAP commanders killed during the operation were- Abu Usman, Alhaji Shettima, Modu Mainok, Bukar Gana, Abu Summayya, Amir Taam, and Amir Kuraish.

He said the Armed Forces of Nigeria in collaboration with other security agencies were committed to ending terrorism and other security challenges in the country.

“While the good people of the North-East are once again assured of troop’s commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops timely and credible information that will assist them in the conduct of their operations,” he said.

Source: Naija News

Content provider, creative writer, inspired by the opportunity to learn new things. You can reach out to me via [email protected]