The attack on the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect has been described as callous and reprehensible.
Naija News reports that gunmen suspected to be members of the dreaded Boko Haram sect on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Babagana Zulum in Baga Town.
The governor was reportedly on his way to visit some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the northern part of Borno when his convoy was attacked.
The attack happened near Monguno while en route to distribute food to displaced residents. Monguno and Baga axis of Borno has been totally cut off from mobile phone services.
Nobody was injured during the attack and the governor safely returned to Maiduguri the state capital.
In a statement by the Director of Press and Public Affairs Northern Governors’ Forum, Dr Makut Macham, the Chairman of the forum and governor of Plateau, Simon Lalong, condemned the attack.
He said the attack was an act to frustrate Zulum’s efforts in ensuring the well-being of the vulnerable in the state.
Ortom said the incident was a desperate attempt by criminals to sabotage Zulum’s efforts toward reducing the sufferings of IDPs who had been traumatised by terrorists.
He said: “This regrettable attack shows the desperation by enemies of peace and humanity at large to jeopardise all efforts towards making life easier for victims of violence in the state over the years.
“The Northern Governors Forum strongly condemns this attack and stands with Gov. Zulum who has demonstrated courage in personally reaching out to people in need despite the dangers.
“We urge him not to be deterred as he keeps working with security agencies to protect the lives and property of the people.”
Download NAIJA NEWS app: