Connect with us


Gist

Rape: D’Banj N1.5bn Libel Case Against Seyitan Continues – Mike Ozekhome

According to the lawyer, he is aware that the accuser had withdrew her petition but he has not received any notification of calling quit the case from his own client yet.

Published

on

Human Rights Activist and Lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), has said his client, Oladapo Oyebanjo, better known as D’Banj, is continuing with the N1.5bn libel suit filed against Miss Seyitan Babatayo, who accused him of rape.

According to the lawyer, he is aware that the accuser had withdrew her petition but he has not received any notification of calling quit the case from his own client yet.

Naija News reported earlier that a human right activist group Stand To End Rape, STER has released an update on the Seyitan and D’banj legal rape case, stating that the two have reached a non-monetary out-of-court settlement.

However, despite the latter withdrawing the petition submitted to the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, D’Banj’s lawyer on Friday, July 24 during an interactive session with Saturday PUNCH revealed that the case is still in court as his client is not ready to withdraw the case due to the fact that Miss Seyitan’s claimed has failed.

He said, “They withdrew their petition but the police said they could not prove a case of rape against D’Banj. This fact should not be hidden. It is based on this they are begging him to withdraw the case but I have not received any letter from my client asking me to withdraw the case. So, the case in court is still alive,”

Recall that the Nigerian singer in early July 2020 filed a defamation suit before an FCT High Court requesting the court to order Miss Seyitan to tender a letter of apology for the accusations directed at him, which he claimed has caused him “embarrassment, ridicule, derision, marital disharmony, mental agony, and psychological trauma.”

D’banj suit was coming after Miss Seyitan had filed a case suit involving the Police IG, accusing him of forcefully raping her at Glee Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos in 2018.

However, on his part, while responding to the allegation, IGP Adamu through the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Admin), Umar Sanda, said the investigation had to discontinue due to lack of evidence.

Reacting to the suit on Friday, a lawyer to Seyitan, Mr. Tommy Ojoge-Daniel, told newsmen that his client has decided to withdraw the complaint against D’Banj for personal reasons. He, however, said they would not be intimidated by the N1.5bn libel suit from the singer.

He said, “We have not yet been served with the processes. However, we are not afraid of any libel suit. Our client only decided to withdraw the petition for personal reasons.”

Source: Naija News

Writer, Graphics Designer, and Gospel Music Minister.