Public schools in South Africa will again be shut down from next week as confirmed cases of the dreaded disease hit 408,052 in the country.
The development was confirmed in a statement on Thursday, July 23 by President Cyril Ramaphosa, noting that the country is about to again experience a hike in number COVID-19 cases.
According to the president, in a bid to limit the spread of deadly disease in the country, public schools will be shut down for a month. Naija News understands that South Africa so far has recorded more than 6,000 COVID-19 related death cases since the outbreak of the pandemic.
The country is now rated fifth with the highest case of the novel virus in the world.
“Cabinet has decided today that all public schools should take a break for the next four weeks,” said President Ramaphosa during an address to the nation on Thursday.
He noted that the academic year that is due to end in December would now be extended because of the developments.
“Schools will be closed from 27 July and scheduled to reopen on August 24,” he noted.
“We have taken a deliberately cautious approach to keep schools closed during a period when the country is expected to experience its greatest increase in infections,” Ramaphosa said.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, on Thursday, noted that the gatherings of crowds in worship centres amid Coronavirus pandemic pose a great threat to Nigerians.
Source: Naija News