President Muhammadu Buhari has once again promised to protect the lives of Nigerians even as some men of the underworld attacked some communities in the north-eastern part of the country earlier this week.
Speaking on Friday during his democracy day broadcast to the nation, Buhari said he was saddened that the recent attacks that left several dead in Borno and the Katsina States happened.
He also stated that the criminals took advantage of the COVID-19 restrictions in the nation, noting that security agencies would pursue the perpetrators and bring them to swift justice.
He said, “I regret recent sporadic incidents with tragic loss of lives in Katsina and Borno States as a result of criminals taking advantage of COVID-19 restrictions. Security Agencies will pursue the perpetrators and bring them to swift justice.
“I must implore state and local governments to revamp their intelligence assets so that the Security Agencies can nip in the bud any planned attacks in remote rural areas. I send my heartfelt condolences to all the relatives and communities affected.
“As part of the strengthening of our internal security architecture, the Ministry of Police Affairs was created.
“Amongst others, the government has expanded the National Command and Control Centre to nineteen states of the federation, resuscitated the National Public Security Communication System and commenced the implementation of the Community Policing Strategy.
“Government has similarly established a Nigerian Police Trust Fund as a public-private sector vehicle for alternative sources of funding security activities.
“To reduce security challenges through our external borders especially smuggling of oil products out of the country, inflow of small arms and drugs into the country and equally protect our local manufacturers, we introduced operation “Ex-Swift Response” closing our borders from August 20th 2019, and have considerably succeeded in meeting its objectives as well as improving our national revenue.”
Source: Naija News