The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu has explained that the massive explosion which rocked Akure, the state capital on Saturday was caused by a vehicle in a convoy transporting explosives to a storage facility.
The governor added that security chiefs have briefed him about steps been taken, even as he urged residents particularly those within the area of the explosion to remain calm as everything was under control.
Naija News previously reported that a very massive explosion in Ilu- Abo in Akure north local government area of Ondo on Saturday morning, destroyed over 100 residential buildings, schools, and churches.
In his reaction, Governor Akeredolu said: “I have been briefed by the security chiefs that in the early hours of Saturday March 28th, a vehicle in a convoy transporting explosives to a storage facility in a neighbouring state developed a fault while in transit along the Akure Owo Road about 2km from the Akure Airport.”
“Security personnel and other individuals transporting the ordinances noticed smoke from the vehicle. After several attempts to extinguish the resulting fire failed, the vehicle and its consignment ignited causing a massive explosion that was felt in Akure and its environs.”
“Presently, efforts are being made to ascertain if there are casualties.”
The Governor who revealed he has visited the scene said a directive has been given for the area to be cordoned off while appropriate persons check for the possibility of other explosives that might yet to detonate.
“Following my visit to the scene, I have directed that the area be cordoned off to allow the explosive ordinance department/bomb squad to extricate the vehicle buried underground because it is unclear if there are still explosives that are yet to be detonated.”
“Everything is under control and I will be updating the public on any new developments.”