Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr Rematch
As earlier reported by Naija News, the WBA, WBO and IBF titles will be on the line as Joshua attempts to retrieve his unified world heavyweight champion – WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titles.
It will be recalled Ruiz Jr shockingly defeated Joshua at Madison Square Garden in June 2019.
Ahead of the much-anticipated rematch between the two boxers, here are eight things to know about the match:
1. The Joshua vs Ruiz Jr rematch will be held on Saturday, December 7 in The Diriyah Arena. The Arena is a custom-built 15,000-seater located in Saudi Arabia.
2. Joshua and Ruiz are both aged 30 years old. While Joshua is 6ft 6, Ruiz is 6ft 2.
3. Joshua’s parents are from Sagamu, Ogun State in Nigeria, which makes him British/Nigerian. Ruiz is an American/Mexican.
4. Ruiz’s nickname is Destroyer and Joshua’s alias is AJ.
5. The match will be shown live by Sky Sports Box Office at a cost of £24.95.
It will also be available for purchase through NOW TV, also at a price of £24.95.
In the US, the fight will be shown live on DAZN but a month subscription of $19.99 is required.
6. There will be five other heavyweight fights on Joshua/Ruiz rematch card.
The undercards are: Dillian Whyte vs Mariusz Wach (WBC interim heavyweight title); Alexander Povetkin vs Michael Hunter (heavyweight); Filip Hrgovic vs Eric Molina (WBC international heavyweight title); Mahammadrasul Majidov vs Tom Little (heavyweight); Hopey Price vs TBC and Diego Pacheco vs TBC.
7. Joshua and Ruiz will share £70m between them for the rematch. Joshua is expected to receive between £45m and £60m for the match while Ruiz Jr is expected to pocket no fewer than £10m.
8. The Saudi Arabian authorities have paid over £30m to stage the rematch. They are expected to make returns through sponsorship, broadcasting rights and box office subscriptions among others.
Source: Naija News