The World Health Organisation (WHO) vaccination storage facility located at the Ayegbaju Market in Osogbo, the Osun state capital was on Saturday razed by fire.
Naija News understands that the incident occurred on Saturday, September 21.
This online news platform understands that the inferno started from one of the power generators planted around the WHO storage facility.
According to a Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) official identified as Ajinase Alade, attached to the facility, the fire started at the afternoon hours of Saturday, as early as 12:13 pm, Saturday afternoon.
“The fire started at about 12:13p.m from one of the power generator that was on to power the building where vaccines were stored.
” We quickly move to remove the cars packed close to the fire and mobilised to put out the fire.
“But unfortunately, my motorcycle packed closed to the storage facility was, however, burnt by the fire while helping to remove the cars,” he said.
While speaking on the inferno, the Osun WHO Immunisation Officer and State Cold Vaccine Coordinator, Mrs Adeosun Adebola, revealed that the cold vaccine storage office was not affected by the fire but the dry vaccine outlet was razed by fire.
She said a 60KVA generator, one 12KVA generator and two 18 KVA generators were also affected.
Adebola also said two photocopier machines and two motorcycles were also destroyed by the fire.
“I61,795 pieces of 0.05ml needles and syringe , 633,871 pieces of 0.5ml needles and syringe, 10,575 pieces of 5ml needles and syringe, 3,976 pieces of 2ml needles and syringe were destroyed by the fire.
” 8,654 pieces of immunisation safety boxes were also destroyed by the fire,” she said.
Source: Naija News