A storm of reactions by Nigerians has greeted the appointment of Seun Onigbinde, the co-founder of BudgIT as a Technical Adviser in the Ministry of Budget and National Planning by, President Muhammadu Buhari.
Naija News had reported earlier that Shakir Akorede, Communication Associate of BudgIT, confirmed the news to The PUNCH on Friday in a telephone conversation.
Akorede said, while the news was true, it had nothing to do with Budgit which is still dedicated to holding government accountable.
The Communication Associate of BudgIT said, “It’s true, however, I need to point out that this has nothing to do with Budgit. As you may recall, Seun has been absent from the company for some time. This is a situation that affects Seun as a person, nothing to do with BudgIT.
“This is in his personal capacity as a Nigerian,” Akorede insisted.
Onigbinde, who was a strong critic of President Buhari, co-founded BudgIT, a social enterprise dedicated to calling for fiscal transparency in government.
Naija News captured some of the reactions below…
Seun Onigbinde, you are singing in another tune now? Do you now love mediocrity? Seems you are now a closet ethnic jingoist..you hate Nigeria now? Whayasay?
Those guys you called e-rats fought against all odds to keep this govt in power so that your likes can hold that card.. pic.twitter.com/x16ES2Bdw4
— Dr. Guendouzi (The Cerebral Assassin ) (@fimiletoks) September 13, 2019
Seun Onigbinde criticized the Buhari govt. He has now been appointed to help fix some of his criticisms.
That he accepted the appointment does not warrant criticism/abuse.
If he fails to solve what he criticized is when you should call him out.
— tega onojaife (@tegasupreme) September 13, 2019
Dr Joe Abah never disappoints. He must always join his friends in the gutter to throw mud because they'd rather not waste their time on critical thought. This is someone you'd expect, given his experience, to know how appointments such as that of Seun Onigbinde's work.
— Edward Israel-Ayide (@wildeyeq) September 13, 2019
I am happy Seun Onigbinde has made himself available to use his talent to serve our fatherland. Nothing is as good as getting a chance to put to action the litany of ideas and advice one has canvassed over the years. I expect a lot from him and I hope he is able to come through.
— HENRY Okelue (@4eyedmonk) September 13, 2019
Congratulations Seun Onigbinde, founder @BudgITng on your appointment into the "Incompetent" government of APC led by Muhammadu Buhari.
May the Almighty guide you ?, and please free your handle you wouldn't be asked to resign ? pic.twitter.com/418H8WZaNu
— Adamu Hayatu™ (@AHayatu) September 13, 2019
Seun Onigbinde, a critic of many Government parastatals has been invited to fix what he has always criticized. But we are criticizing his decision to join the government and fix all or some of the problems. Edakun, what exactly do we want? Wail without Change? Softly Softly ooo
— B h a d o o s k y (@BhadmusAkeem) September 13, 2019
Seun Onigbinde spent the past few years criticizing Buhari’s inept Govt & holding many other Govt parastatals accountable via @BudgITng. He has been invited to fix what he has always criticized & y’all think he is better off as an arm chair critic? Allow the man to do his job!
— FAVOUR ONYEOZIRI (@LifeOfRouvafe) September 13, 2019
The tragedy of Seun Onigbinde’s appointment is, none of these partisans outraged by his appointment is better qualified for the job. You see, however loud you insult fellow citizens in defence of politicians, they won’t rate you above what you are to them: underpaid attack dogs.
— Gimba Kakanda (@gimbakakanda) September 13, 2019
I am pleased that Seun Onigbinde has been given an appointment by the Federal Govt. When I tell young people not to be too extreme, they abuse me as “Fencist.” In 2015, you are all in for Buhari. 2019, you are all in against Buhari. Your country is bigger than Buhari. Think am o.
— Dr. Joe Abah (@DrJoeAbah) September 13, 2019
And Pius Adesanmi said this about Seun Onigbinde in 2018 but he is not here anymore https://t.co/ZifasrnRmT
— ALHAJI TeaJAY???? #cfc# ? ??♂️ (@teejaybaba) September 13, 2019
Congrats Seun Onigbinde.
I'm glad his role is technical, and not just political. Despite this, govt's record of turning our brightest minds to dead woods fears me. I pray he survives. Better to delete his account than start defending the things he criticized. RIP Pius Adesanmi. pic.twitter.com/YwXR4INDxG
— Ayò Bánkólé (@AyoBankole) September 13, 2019
All of you people shouting about Seun Onigbinde, if my MCM @ProfOsinbajo calls me I will MOVE o! ???
Meanwhile, congrats to Seun. And well done to the Minister of Budget & Planning who picked a competent critic.
As long as Nigeria wins, I’m happy.
— Ose Anenih (@Papadonkee) September 13, 2019
Seun Onigbinde deleted his Twitter account after getting appointment for Buhari's government.
The same Buhari that we all detest his government.
I am learning a new lesson from this.
"CRITICISE THE GOVT UNTIL THEY APPOINT YOU AND KEEP QUIET"
— Tosin Olugbenga (@TosinOlugbenga) September 13, 2019
Source: Naija News
Bandits Demand N100m To Free UI Undergraduate Student
The parents of Emmanuel Odetunde, a student of Sociology at the University of Ibadan, Oyo State who was abducted by bandits have been asked to pay N100m for their child’s freedom.
Naija News understands that the undergraduate student was taken away by the unknown gunmen who invaded his father’s farmland in Oke Odan, Apete area of the state capital on Monday, February 22.
Reports had it that Odetunde was abducted after four suspected herders stormed their farm and demanded his father. They, however, went away with the young man after workers on the farmland told the gunmen that the father is not around.
The victim’s brother, Samuel told newsmen that the abductors had reached out to the family, demanding N100m ransom. Although Samuel said the safety of his brother was paramount, he added that the family could not raise the huge amount.
Responding to the situation when contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Olugbenga Fadeyi, said in a statement that the police “are working alongside other security operatives to ensure that the victim returns safely from the den of his abductors.”
“We will also ensure that the kidnappers are captured having deployed a police tactical team, including an anti-kidnapping squad that will help in the rescue mission,” the PPRO added.
Meanwhile, the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has taken to social media to mock the Nigeria Police Force and Army over reprisal attack by citizens.
Kanu in a tweet on his Twitter handle on Friday morning, February 26 said the security agencies are now enjoying what they sowed during the Obigbo and Lekki Toll Gate incidents that caused the loss of lives a few months ago, Naija New reports.
Biafra: How Nigerian Army Tried To Assassinate IPOB’s Lawyer – Nnamdi Kanu
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has accused the Nigerian Army of allegedly attempting to assassinate Barrister Chukwuemeka Okoroafor.
In a press statement released to newsmen on Thursday by the spokesperson of IPOB, Emma Powerful, Nnamdi Kanu claimed that Okoroafor was ambushed by men who came out of a white Hilux truck on Suleja-Bida highway on Thursday and opened fire on his car.
He said the lawyer was leaving Alpha Military Commando Base in Suleja where he had gone to confirm an intelligence report regarding some Biafran agitators detained by the Nigerian Army, when he was attacked.
Nnamdi Kanu said: “Barrister Okoroafor went to the Alpha Military Commando Base in Suleja to confirm intelligence reports from credible sources that civilians being held at this military detention camp are all missing Biafrans, including Elvis Ngozi and 109 others.
“Upon exiting this facility and into Suleja-Bida Road, an unmarked white Hilux truck pulled up by the side of his vehicle and opened fire on him in an effort to kill him. The same thing they did to Barrister Ejiofor about two years ago when they invaded his country home in a similar state-sponsored attempt to assassinate him.
“Barrister Okoroafor told me that before leaving the base, he discovered that the left rear wheel of his SUV was marked with black paint. He drove into Suleja Area Command and made a report. Shortly afterwards he was attacked on the road. This testimony convinced me that the attackers were members of Nigeria’s security agents.”
The IPOB leader claimed that the alleged attack on Okoroafor was an attempt to scare lawyers from working with the pro-Biafra group.
He said: “The whole world must take note of this barbaric attack against innocent Barrister Chukwuemeka Richard Okoroafor in Abuja today being the 25th day of February, 2021, a lawyer who is doing his professional job.
“Since the Nigerian Army and police have taken it upon themselves to assassinate IPOB lawyers and to stop IPOB from challenging them with self-evident truth in their own law courts, they will soon reap the fruit of their evil deed. We, therefore, demand the immediate release of all sex slaves in the custody of the Nigerian Army.”
Imo: ‘Your Turn Has Finally Come’ – Nnamdi Kanu Mocks Police, Army
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has taken to social media to mock the Nigeria Police Force and Army over reprisal attack by citizens.
Kanu in a tweet on his Twitter handle on Friday morning, February 26 said the security agencies are now enjoying what they sowed during the Obigbo and Lekki Toll Gate incidents that caused the loss of lives a few months ago.
Naija News understands that the IPOB leader was reacting to the ongoing crisis in Imo State. It was reported earlier that some hoodlums threw inflammable objects at the Aboh Mbaise Divisional Police Headquarters in Imo State and burnt down the police facility.
The development ignited the environment, causing the policemen on guard, suspects, and natives to run into nearby bushes.
Confirming the report a source said, “This is very strange. Fleeing hoodlums have just razed Aboh Mbaise Divisional Police headquarters. They didn’t bother going into the compound. They just threw ignitable objects on the Divisional headquarters and drove off few minutes after it caught fire.
“All the policemen on duty including suspects who were being detained ran into the nearby bushes. Locals also fled their homes as the fire raged. We have not seen this one before.”
Affirming to the incident, a police spokesperson for the state command, Orlando Ikeokwu, said no policeman was lost to the incident.
Reacting to the development moments later, Kanu took to the micro-blogging platform and wrote: “Nigerian Police & Nigerian Army, do you think that those you killed their brothers and sisters in #Obigbo and #LekkiTollGate, will sit back and watch all of you enjoy your lives? Hell No!”
“Seems your turn has finally come, please enjoy it to the fullest!”
See the tweet below:
Nigerian Police & Nigerian Army, do you think that those you killed their brothers and sisters in #Obigbo and #LekkiTollGate, will sit back and watch all of you enjoy your lives? Hell No!
Seems your turn has finally come, please enjoy it to the fullest!#StopPoliceBrutality
— Mazi Nnamdi Kanu (@MaziNnamdiKanu) February 26, 2021