The Defence Headquarters have stated that the re-arrest of notorious Taraba kidnap kingpin, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume, will clear doubts regarding his capture and escape.
Naija News reports that before his arrest, Wadume was a ‘high profile’ kidnapping suspect arrested by the police on August 6 and was driven to Jalingo by the police team when soldiers opened fire on them along Ibi-Wukari Road.
The attack in its wake left three police officers and a civilian killed as well as Wadume’s escape.
The Army later explained that the soldiers attacked the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) operatives when they mistook them for criminals, following a distress call they had received.
Apparently displeased with the action of the army, the Nigeria police engaged its sister security agency in a Twitter war as well as nationwide anxiety, prompting President Muhammadu Buhari to order an investigation.
Naija News understands that the investigation panel, comprising persons with police and military background, was initially scheduled to conclude its findings last week, but the team sought an additional two weeks to wrap up.
Reacting to Wadume’s re-arrest, a top military source told The Nation that the Joint Investigative Panel probing into the killings would ensure that justice is served on all parties involved in the matter.
The source said: ”I can tell you that the Joint Panel constituted by the Defence Headquarters would do a thorough job regarding this case. There is no cause for apprehension any more.
“I don’t want to pre-empt the work of the Panel, but I can assure you that justice will be served to all parties involved in this matter. I have confidence that the Panel will unearth the truth and clear doubts of everyone”.
The source added that the Army would not like to put spanners in the work of the Joint Investigative Panel by way of commenting on issues that are already before the panel.