African Football Stars Begin Quest For Continental Glory
The 2019 African Cup of Nations tournament holding in Egypt will kick off on Friday, June 21 and run through Friday, July 19.
Naija News reports several teams have already arrived the North African country ahead of the commencement of the tournament with their eyes firmly set on lifting the trophy.
The biennial international men’s football championship of Africa was initially scheduled to hold June 15 – July 13 but was moved to June 21 – July 19 due to Ramadan observed by Muslims.
This year’s tournament, which is the 32nd edition of AFCON, was moved from the routine January/February hosting months to June/July for the first time.
AFCON 2019 will also be the first the CAF competition expanded from 16 to 24 teams.
Below is a compilation of 10 stars that are expected to light up the tournament alongside their teammates as the search for continental glory begins.
1. Mohammed Salah (Egypt and Liverpool)
2. Alex Iwobi (Nigeria and Arsenal)
3. Percy Tau (South Africa and Brighton & Hove Albion, on loan to Union SG)
4. Sadio Mane (Senegal and Liverpool)
5. Khama Billiat (Zimbabwe and Kaizer Chiefs)
6. Denis Onyango (Uganda and Mamelodi Sundowns)
7. Victor Wanyama (Kenya and Tottenham Hotspurs)
8. Andre Onana (Cameroon and Ajax Amsterdam)
9. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria and Manchester City)
10. Hakim Ziyech (Morocco and Ajax Amsterdam)