Connect with us


World

New Zealand Police Say Object Found At Site Of Christ Church Killings, Not Bomb

Published

Police Arrive At The Scene Of Armed Incident At Blockhouse Bay
New Zealand Police
 

New Zealand police have ruled out the possibility of a bomb in the object found in Christchurch from the scene of the mosque shootings which took place in March and killed 50 Muslim worshippers.

Naija News yesterday had reported that the Police found and disarmed a suspected bomb and ammunition package found in a vacant lot in Christchurch, the scene of the mass shooting.

Police and the military bomb squad swooped on a vacant lot just outside the city centre Tuesday finding “a suspected explosive device” and rounds of ammunition.

They disclosed that a 33-year-old man had been arraigned in court today, charged with possession of explosives, ammunition and offensive weapons.

We are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident,” detective inspector Corrie Parnell said in a statement.

“There are no known links between the 33-year-old man and the Christchurch attacks on March 15.”

Local media named the man as Jay Michael Harding-Reriti and said the charges included possession of a handheld improvised explosive device, powergel explosives, and detonator cord.

They said he was remanded in custody until May 6 and further details of the case were suppressed at the request of police.

Christchurch remains on alert after the March attacks in which a self-styled white supremacist shot dead 50 people and injured another 39 in attacks on two mosques.

The gunman allegedly behind the mosque shootings, 28-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant, is in a maximum-security prison in Auckland has been ordered to undergo psychiatric tests, AFP reports.


Read More News.   Download Naija News App.   Send us enquiries and press releases.


is an opinionated and creative writer, and teacher. You can reach me via busayo@naijanews.com