Connect with us


News

Just In: NJC Takes Action On Allegations Against Onnoghen, Muhammad

Published

Supreme Court Delivers Judgement On Onnoghen
 

The National Judicial Commission (NJC) on Wednesday took a decision on the allegations of misconduct brought against suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Walter Onnoghen.

The Commission also reached a decision on the allegation against Acting CJN, Tanko Muhammad.

The NJC reached a decision after an emergency meeting to examine the report of the five-man committee set up to investigate the petitions against Onnoghen and Muhammad. However, it refrained from making its findings public.

In a statement released to newsmen, the NJC said its recommendation had been sent to President Muhammadu Buhari.

NJC statement added, “The National Judicial Council reconvened today in an Emergency Meeting to consider the Report of the Five-Man Committee constituted to investigate the allegations of misconduct made against Hon. Mr. Justice W. S. N. Onnoghen, GCON and Hon. Mr. Justice I. T. Muhammad CFR,” Soji Oye, NJC’s Director of Information, said in a statement on Wednesday.

“Council decided that the allegations relating to assets declaration that were levelled against Hon. Mr Justice W. S. N. Onnoghen, GCON were subjudice and therefore abstained from considering them.

“Council reached a decision on the petitions written by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and others and conveyed its decision to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR.

“Council also resolved that, by the nature of the decision reached, it would be inappropriate to publicise it before conveying it to Mr President.”


Read More News.   Download Naija News App.   Send us enquiries and press releases.


Ogbolu George is a graduate of Mass Communication from the University of Benin. He loves politics, is a movie addict and a die-hard Arsenal fan. George is a Senior Content Creator at Naija News.