Naija News had reported earlier that ASUU suspended its three-month strike following an agreement it reached with the Federal Government on Thursday.
This online news platform recalls that as a result of the agreement which was signed between the union leaders and government officials, the leadership of ASUU announced the suspension of the strike action.
Addressing journalists at the end of a two hours meeting on Thursday, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, said all eight areas in contention was resolved by both parties while implementation of some the agreement has already commenced.
The Minister listed areas in contention which was resolved to include the Nigeria University Pension Company, constitution of visitation panels, shortfall in Salaries, Earned Academic Allowance and revitalization funds for universities, adding that while the union has already collected the certificate for NUPENCO, government has made money available for the payment of the shortfall in salaries as well as Earned Academic Allowances.
Ngige also said the government agreed to release N25 billion as revitalization fund between April and May 2019 after which it will commence full implementation of the 2009 agreement, while allowances of lecturers of University of Ilorin is to be paid immediately.
The parties, Ngige said also agreed that the Babalakin Committee which is charged with renegotiating the agreement should reconvene latest 18th February and March 29, 2019.
On his part, President of ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, announced on Thursday that the leadership of the union agreed to suspend the strike action immediately beginning from Friday, February 8, 2019, with the condition that it will not hesitate to resume the action if the government failed to meet there part of the agreement.
Ogunyemi, however, lamented the role played by some Vice Chancellors who attempted to break the rank of the union, adding that it will not hesitate to tackle them head-on.
The ASUU President said that “Based on the initial proposals from Government, the Union made extensive consultations through its various organs.
“The final level of consultation was the meeting of the National Executive Council (NBC) which took place 6th-7th February 2019. NEC resolved that: Following a careful review of the report of engagements with the Federal Government on proposals for addressing all outstanding in the 2013 M011 and 2017 MoA, NEC resolved that the current strike action by the Union should be suspended conditionally with effect from 12.01 am on Friday 8, February 2019,” he added.