Army Reveals Why It Is Yet To Buy More Weapons
The Nigerian Army said the $1billion approved in 2017 to fight insurgency and other security challenges has not been released to the military.
12 months ago, I kicked against the FG decision to withdraw $1bn from the Excess Crude Account to fund the fight against Boko Haram. Three days ago, the military said it was yet to receive the $1bn. So I ask, where is the money?
May God save our country.
— Peter Ayodele Fayose (@GovAyoFayose) December 3, 2018
Naija News recalls President Muhammadu Buhari, in 2017, wrote the national assembly, requesting the approval of the withdrawal of $1 billion from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to purchase weapons, strengthen the fight against insurgency.
Recall that earlier in 2017 as well, the National Economic Council (NEC) approved the request of the current administration to withdraw$1 billion from the excess crude account (ECA) for the fight against insurgency.
However, following the recent attacks by Boko Haram and cry out from Nigerians on why the military is not better equipped to resist the terrorists, Army spokesman Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, said the money is still being processed.
“People should understand also that this is a democratic system in which procurement and of course funding of defense related issues takes such a long time,” he said.
“Take for instance the issue of the $1 billion approved recently by Mr. President, up till now the process is ongoing. The ministry of defense is still pursuing the matter to the point that when it is done, the armed forces will definitely get more equipment, more arms and ammunition,” Usman said
— Vote Out APC & Buhari (@C_Oranye) December 3, 2018
Copyright Naija News 2019. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to email@example.com.