The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has requested a Federal High Court to grant an application seeking for the final forfeiture of the sums of $8, 435, 788.84 and N9.2bn linked to the wife of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Patience.
Naija News understands that the anti-graft agency supported the application with an affidavit, two exhibits and a written address.
The companies named in the suit marked FHC/L/CS/620/18, are Globus Integrated Service Limited, Finchley Top Homes Limited, AM-PM Global Network Limited, Pagmat Oil and Gas Limited, and Magel Resort Limited.
EFCC, through its counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged the court to grant its prayers for the final forfeiture of the various sums of money.
However responding, counsel to the first respondent, Ifedayo Adedipe, SAN told the court that he had filed a motion and a written address, which he relied on all for the processes filed.
He stated that the EFCC had not invited the first respondent for questioning regarding the alleged money found in her account.
He further submitted that the EFCC had not charged the first respondent to court for trial.
Adedipe, who further stated that the applicant had not shown any reason that could warrant the final forfeture of the money, therefore, urged the court to refuse the application.
Also, counsel to the second respondent, Oyewole Gboyega, SAN, told the court that he had a motion on notice challenging the court’s action and asking for dismissal or striking out of the suit.
He argued that the source of the funds was lawful and legitimate, adding that ” all that the applicant has is mere allegations and suspicious.”
He, therefore, urged the court to refuse the application for the final forfeiture of the money.
Counsel to the third, fourth, fifth and sixth respondents, Mike Ozekhome SAN, also told the court that he had filed various applications, adding that the motion by the prosecuting counsel was an abuse of court processes. He further stated that the matter was already pending before Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
“I wonder why the EFCC rushed down to Lagos to file the same matter. This is an abuse of court processes,” he added.
He said he had filed an affidavit on the 3rd respondent, seeking the order of the court for the applicant to show a video clip inside the court that reveals that the third respondent was legitimately involved.
He, therefore, urged the court to grant his prayer not to forfeit the money.
Ige Asemudara, counsel to the seventh respondent told the court he had a motion and prayed the court to set aside the interim forfeiture order of April 20, 2018, and to strike out the suit.
He also refuted the claim that the seventh respondent had been at large. Asemudara also told the court that the money in the account of the seventh respondent was not unclaimed.
After listening to all parties, Justice Olatoregun adjourned till November 13, 2018, for further hearing.