Manchester United boss, Jose Mourinho could be bidding farewell to his job as the manager of club as earlier as the weekend, a British press reports.
The beginning of the season as been horrific for the former Chelsea coach as his competence for the role as been reported called to question by both his players and the media.
The Britain’s Daily Mirror newspaper report that the manager may be on his way out of the club regardless of the result of United’s match at home to Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday has heightened tension the more.
According to the Mirror, Mourinho, 55, has lost the confidence of the board with “senior United sources” telling the paper his nearly two-and-a-half years in charge will end whatever the outcome of the Newcastle game.
The Champion’s League goalless draw against Valencia by the Portuguese coach’s team have shown again that the Red devils are falling short of the expectation of their fans.
“Yes, I accept (it is not good enough),” Mourinho, who has reportedly had several bust-ups with star player Paul Pogba this season, said when asked about United’s losing streak during a pre-match press conference earlier Friday.
The press conference, called for the unusually early time of 8:00 am (0700 GMT), lasted a mere eight minutes and 29 seconds.
But that was time enough for Mourinho to suggest United’s results would pick up.
“We are better than this and because we are better than this, our situation is going to improve. I have no doubts about that,” he said.
Mourinho responded to the criticism coming his way by claiming United overachieved in finishing second last season, 19 points behind champions Manchester City, adding he always expected this campaign to be more difficult.
“I think opponents with much more potential than us finished behind us,” he said.
“That is the reason why it was a phenomenal season.”
However, Mourinho insisted he is the man to turn Manchester United’s ailing season around, disputing the impending sack report by Daily Mirror.
He has repeatedly and publicly berated United’s players this season, suggesting in Tuesday’s programme notes they had lost their “dignity” in a 3-1 league loss at West Ham last Saturday.
Asked at his pre-match press conference on Friday if he felt he had taken United as far as he could last season, Mourinho said: “No. This team can do much better than what it is doing. The team will do much better than what it is doing.
“If you want me to repeat (what I said earlier this week), I repeat. I said last season was a fantastic season for us.
“And if you want something more, in pre-season I also said that this season was going to be very difficult.”
The manager added United enjoyed a successful campaign by finishing second in May, ahead of “opponents with more potential than us”.
“Success has a direct relation with your own potential and a direct relation with the potential of your opponents,” he explained.
“The last season was phenomenal exactly because of these two factors — our potential and the potential of our opponents.
“I think opponents with much more potential than us finished behind us. That is the reason why it was a phenomenal season.
“With all the respect — and I hope they don’t interpret me in a negative way — if we are playing in a league like the Swiss league and we don’t win that league, that would be an awful season.
“Last season, to finish second was fantastic for us.”
Former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane is the favourite to succeed Mourinho, who is set to receive compensation of around £20million. Michael Carrick could be put in temporary charge.
Copyright Naija News 2018. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to [email protected].