Samuel Ortom, the governor of Benue State has challenged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to Probe President Muhammadu Buhari’s security vote before it turns his searchlight on him.
Ortom stated that he has never heard that the security vote have ever been investigated when speaking to newsmen after his broadcast.
The EFCC disclosed on Monday that it has initiated an investigation into the financial activities of the governor of Benue State, house of assembly members and permanent secretaries.
But Ortom asked, “Why am I being investigated by the EFCC? My records are there. But so far, I am the only governor in Nigeria whose security vote is being investigated by the EFCC.
“How can you single me out of 36 (governors) for investigation? It (security vote) is not something that any government will begin to disclose. Why should Benue’s case be different if not persecution? If the EFCC wanted a genuine investigation of security vote spending, they should have started from the Presidency and across the 36 states.
“If their focus was on Benue State, they should have started from 1999. But this is not the case. With the enormous security challenges in the state since my assumption of office, it is surprising that any one would expect me to do nothing but keep the security vote in the safe.”
“The security vote spending being investigated spans from 2015 to 2018, a period of grave security challenges in the state. I reiterate that the investigation is a clear case of persecution. I have not misappropriated, diverted or stolen any money. I have nothing to hide. I assure that the investigators can find nothing incriminating against me.” He added.
Ortom, who spoke of the impeachment move against him stated that the action of those planning to impeach him is illegal. He added that other plans are been worked on to ensure that the state is destabilized.
The plan he said was to unleash Fulani militia on the state. He said strange herdsmen and 10,000 cows had already invaded Guma (his country home) and local government area.
“Having failed to achieve their anti-Benue objectives, the next phase is the unleashing of Fulani militia. I have been told that after the Operation Whirl Stroke succeeded in chasing away the herdsmen, they have started moving into Guma again as of yesterday. I have already informed the Commander of OPWS and I hope security agencies will take up the matter
“I believe Mr President is not aware of happenings in the state but I expect him to caution the Inspector-General of Police and the Director General of DSS,” he said.
Copyright Naija News 2018. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to [email protected].