Duduzane Was Involved In An Accident That Claimed Two Lives
Former South African President Jacob Zuma’s son, Duduzane, has been summoned by a court on Tuesday to appear on July 12 to answer homicide charges over a fatal car crash in 2014.
State prosecutors initially decided not to charge Duduzane after his Porsche 911 sports car ploughed into a minivan taxi in Johannesburg, killing one woman and seriously injuring another who later died in hospital.
The decision of the National Prosecuting Authority was reversed after Zuma was ousted as the President by the ruling African National Congress in February.
Duduzane was initially given two months to say the reason why he should not be prosecuted by the prosecutors, but he failed to do so by the deadline.
Report has it that by April they would charge Duduzane with culpable homicide.
Phindi Mjonondwane, a spokeswoman for the NPA, told Reuters on Tuesday that Duduzane had been summoned to appear at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg on July 12 and that prosecutors expected him to attend.
Attempts to reach Duduzane, who rarely speaks to the media, were unsuccessful.
During an inquest in 2014, Duduzane said his car hit a puddle and he lost control‚ veering into the taxi‚ which in turn smashed into a barrier, describing the incident as “tragic”.
Copyright Naija News 2019. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to firstname.lastname@example.org.