Thirteen Dies After Intake Of Locally-Brewed Alcohol
A sad incident struck the environs of India’s northern Uttar Pradesh state, as the police in a statement revealed that 13 people died as a result of alcohol intake.
Akhilesh Kumar, the Senior Superintendent of Police, revealed that on Saturday, five people died and on Sunday, eight people died after consuming the locally-brewed alcohol in Kanpur district.
He further revealed that 10 others are been attended to in different hospital and there could be a possibility of death toll rising. In respect to the sad incident, 11 people suspected of being involved in the manufacture and sale of the alcohol have been arrested.
Sale of the spirit with brand name Madhuri-442 has been banned.
“We are carrying out raids to confiscate stores of the alcohol,” Kumar said.
An average of 1,000 people, mostly from the poorer sections of society, die in India each year after consuming locally brewed alcohol, according to National Crime Records Bureau.
In some of the worst cases of such poisoning, 200 people died in 1992 in Orissa state, 180 in West Bengal in 2011 and 100 in Mumbai in 2015.
Trade in locally brewed alcohol thrives in India, because it is much cheaper than commercially produced alcohol.
The liquor is usually made with poor-quality ingredients, and sometimes mixed with industrial alcohol and toxic substances and incidences of deaths from consuming such alcohol hit the headlines regularly.