America’s World Boxing Council world champion Wilder, in a twitter video confirmed that his camp had emailed Britain’s Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn an offer of a minimum of $50 million.
“I’ve got something special for you, By the way, all the money is in the bag. I expect you’ll be a man of your word.” he told Joshua in the video.
According to Punch, Joshua, who unified the World Boxing Association, International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Organization heavyweight titles by out-pointing New Zealand’s Joseph Parker on March 31, had already been recorded saying he’d “take $50 million up front” to fight Wilder.
According to Los Angeles Times, Lou DiBella, Wilder’s promoter, had confirmed the offer for a fight in the United States sometime between September and December.
“Anthony Joshua has said he’d accept this offer. If Eddie Hearn is not looking to stop it from happening, they now have an extraordinary offer to consider. We’ll see how badly he wants the fight,” DiBella told the newspaper.
ESPN reported had reported that the management of both boxers have acknowledged the reality of the offer, adding that it was for one fight, with no rematch clause, and would have to be the next bout for each fighter.
Earlier this month, Joshua told the BBC, hat he’d rather face Wilder than Russian Alexander Povetkin, the WBA mandatory challenger.
Meanwhile, the winner of a Joshua-Wilder bout would be the first man to hold all four major heavyweight titles simultaneously.
Joshua, 28, won his first world title in 2016 and has made five defenses, taking his record to 21-0 with 20 knockouts.