Fire Raze Goods And Properties In Ondo
Property worth millions of naira, has been destroyed by an early morning fire in the Ogbonomo area of Ijebu-Owo in the Owo Local Government Area, Ondo State.
Information obtained by Naija News has it that the cause of the fire, which destroyed shops in the area, had yet to be ascertained.
Goods were reported to be destroyed in the inferno, and this includes tyres, sewing machines, batteries of different brands and motor spare parts.
The eyewitness said, “The fire started around 4am and efforts to put it out proved abortive.
“We could have called the men of the state fire service, but they are not functioning. Although there is a fire station in Owo, it is not functioning.”
Some of the affected traders pleaded with the state government, the National Emergency Management Agency and other stakeholders to come to their aid, saying the incident would have a negative impact on their families.
When contacted, Mr. Femi Joseph, the Police Public Relations Officer of the state, confirmed the incident and said the command had commenced investigation into the matter.
“It is an unfortunate incident, but we have started investigation into it,” the police spokesman said.