As the world celebrates the International Women’s Day today, March 8, Naija News brings you a quick highlight on what you should know about the internationally recognized day dedicated to celebrating women.
Check them below:
1. The International Women’s Day is a day set aside to commemorate the movement for women’s rights and inspiring women across the world.
2. It is celebrated on March 8 every year.
3. The earliest Women’s Day observance, called “National Woman’s Day, was held on February 28, 1909 in New York.
4. The United Nations began celebrating International Women’s Day in 1975.
5. The theme for this year’s (2018) celebration is “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives.”
As earlier reported by Naija News, a coalition of women organization in Nigeria have also used the occasion to demand for the release of kidnapped Dapchi and Chibok girls.