The Nigerian government today set up a committee to probe the circumstances leading to 110 girls being missing from a school in Dapchi.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, who disclosed this in a statement in Abuja said the National Security Adviser, Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd), convened the committee. NaijaNews understands.
Naija News also learnt that the committee,will be chaired by a military officer of the rank of Major-General, while other member will include representatives of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA); Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA); Nigeria Police Force (NPF); Department of State Services (DSS); Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
The minister also said the committee included two representatives of the Yobe State Government and a representative of the Office of the National Security Adviser.
The minister said the committee would suggest measures that could lead to the location and rescue of the girls and recommend measures to prevent future occurrence.
NaijaNews,however understands that the panel, is expected to submit its report by March 15, 2018, is also saddled with recommending measures to prevent future occurrence. The committee will be inaugurated on Wednesday, February 2018. The committee is largely made up of security and government representatives.
It will be recalled that NaijaNews had earlier reported earlier, that the Federal Government had released names of the missing girls.
The list, which the minister said was handed over to him by the Yobe Government, contains the name, age, and class of each of the 110 students.Out of the 110 missing girls, eight are said to be in JSS1, 17 in JSS2, 12 in JSS3, 40 in SS1, 19 in SS2 and 14 in SS3.Mohammed said the girls’ ages range from 11 to 19 years.