The 21,780 primary school teachers in Kaduna sacked by Gov. Nasir El-Rufai for failing the competency test organized by the state government have been given the opportunity to reapply for appointment.
The state NUT Chairman, Audu Amba, confirmed on Friday that the affected teachers would be required to reapply, sit for another examination and if passed, be considered for re-adoption into the state civil service.
Amba said Gov. El-Rufa’i had directed the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to allow the sacked teachers participate in its current recruitment programme.
“We therefore, consider this as an achievement to our struggle, and collectively agreed to call off the strike.
“We are not against any examination to determine the quality and competency of teachers; our problem is the modalities and the processes that the test in question was conducted.
“What is agreed is that when writing the examination, the affected teachers would be required to indicate their scores in the controversial competency test of June 2017.
“Therefore, if our teachers would be given another opportunity to sit for another examination and be reinstated, I feel it’s something we could work on to ensure that larger percentage of the affected teachers got their jobs back.’’
Also, the Kaduna State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Ja’afaru Sani, said that 10, 000 of the affected sacked teachers had already re-applied.
He stated further that the window of opportunity approved by the state governor is only for those yet to reapply.
“Notwithstanding, about 10,000 of them reapplied and if they pass, they would be reemployed.
“The new window is particularly for the remaining 11,780 who did not reapply to do so and would be given priority.’’
Recall, Naija News reported the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Kaduna State chapter, called off its indefinite strike action embarked upon over the sack of over 21,000 primary school teachers that failed the competency test organized by the state government following the promise by Gov. El-Rufai to give affected teachers a second chance.