No fewer than five individuals have died in Ngor -Okpala council area of Imo State, following dead after the consumption of a local gin, popularly called “Ogogoro”.
The gin was reportedly sold by one Uwadiegwu Eze, a native of Umunakara community, in the Ngor-Okpala Local Government Area of Imo State. Eze after hearing the news of the aftermath of the intake of the gin, fled the village.
The deceased persons include Friday Osuji, 70; Adanna Iheanacho, 60; Daniel Nwosu Jnr. 45; Ifeanyi Njoku, 31; and one Benjamin Okoroafor.
Naija News gathered that individuals who bought the gin between Tuesday, November 14, to Friday, November 17, started having body stiffness and partial blindness which resulted in deaths.
Upon getting the news of the fatal incident, the State Ministry of Health, deployed a team headed by the Director of Centre for Disease Control, Dr. Okeji A., to the community.
A number of youth’s who drank the local gin, were reported to have lined up, once they sighted the ambulance of the state Ministry of Health, waiting to be conveyed to Owerri, the Imo State capital.
Okeji expressed concern that people still patronised distillers who make use of methanol to enhancethe production of the gin in order to increase their profits.
A former Commissioner for Information and Strategy in the state, Toe Elechi an indigene of the community, appreciated the health ministry for prompt response.
He also said security agencies were already on the trail of the gin shop owner.
Copyright Naija News 2019. All rights reserved. You may only share Naija News content using our sharing buttons. Send all news and press releases to firstname.lastname@example.org.