Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalissimo), is a highly prestigious title in Yorubaland, so is the holder of the revered position.
Aare Ona Kakanfo has its ancestral cords from the Old Oyo Empire and this is why the title is being conferred on by the Alaafin of Oyo.
Aare Ona Kakanfo was the commander of the army in the Oyo Imperial period.
Here are 10 things to know about Gani Adams, the new Aare Ona Kakanfo:
1. Otunba Ganiyu Adams known as Gani Adams is a social activist and politician.
2. Gani Adams was born in April 30, 1970. He is 47 years old.
3. He graduated from Lagos State University, LASU.
4. Gani Adams is the leader of Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, a nationalist organisation in Yoruba land.
5. He created OPC in 1994 as a socio-cultural group to promote Yoruba culture and its people.
6. Gani Adams is one of the pioneers of OPC and he is the current National Coordinator of the group.
7. Gani Adams was declared the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland on October 14, 2017, by the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III.
8. Gani Adams, on his appointment as the new Aare Ona Kakanfo is the successor of Late M.K.O Abiola, the adjudged winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election. Abiola before his death in 1998 was the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland.