The Independent National Electoral Commission has recommenced the recall process for the senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District, Dino Melaye.
INEC National Commissioner and member of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Mallam Mohammed Haruna, made the dsiclosure on Tuesday that the commission would make public, a revised timetable and schedule of activities on September 18, 2017 in accordance with the orders of the court.
Naija News recalls that a Federal High Court in Abuja had on Tuesday ordered INEC to recall Melaye, dismissing his request for the stop to his recall process.
Haruna noted that with the ruling of the court on the issue of the recall process against Melaye on September 11, 2017, all the legal hindrances to the recall process against the senator had been removed. Hence the recall process is set to resume.
READ ALSO: Court orders resumption of Melaye’s recall process
He said, “It will be recalled that in obedience to an interlocutory order of the Federal High Court, Abuja given on 6th July, 2017 the Independent National Electoral Commission stayed all actions relating to the petition to recall Senator Dino Melaye as the senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District.
“Judgment in the suit was delivered yesterday, September 11, 2017. All legal hurdles have now been cleared and the recall process can now proceed as envisaged by the constitution, the Electoral Act and the extant INEC guidelines and regulation.
“Accordingly, and in compliance with the orders of the court, the commission will release a revised timetable and schedule of activities on Monday, September 18, 2017.”
INEC had suspended the recall process against Melaye after it was served with an order granted by Justice John Tsoho of the Federal High Court, Abuja which directed the commission to maintain the status quo pending the determination of the suit that Melaye filed to challenge his recall process.
Meanwhile, the Kogi State Government has distanced himself from claims by Melaye that he orchestrated the recall process.
The government said claims by the senator on his twitter handle to the effect that officials of government attended the proceedings were “false and misleading.”