-Victim of Ozubulu massacre explains how he got shot.
The gruesome attack on the St. Phillip’s Catholic Church in Ozubulu, Anambra State, has left many families in a state mourning.
This is coming as the death toll had increased to 12 on Monday, while the number of injured persons rose from18-40.
Anambra Governor, Willie Obiano, in a Monday broadcast, refered to the attack as a gang war “imported into the Anambra State from abroad.”
One of the affected families the Obunadikes, lost three of their relatives in the Ozubulu masssacre.
A member of the Obunadike family, Joel Obunadike, lamented that his sister-in-law, the baby girl she was nursing, and his uncle lost their lives in the attack.
According to Joel,, “I lost my uncle and my brother’s wife, as well as her baby girl. My brother’s wife was cuddling the baby when a bullet pierced through her back. The bullet killed her and the baby.
“We are still in shock. That’s all I can say for now.”
Also, PUNCH gathered that one of the wives of the slain father of bishop (Aloysius Ikegwuonu, the alleged drug baron), Mrs. Caroline Ikegwuonu, was hit by a bullet and had been admitted to a hospital in the area.
READ ALSO: PDP reacts to Ozubulu Massacre, advises FG to beef up security in the country
Mrs Ikegwuonu refusing to speak on the incident to PUNCH said, “Please I can’t talk now. I’m still in shock. Please leave me alone.”
Another victim, Samuel Ndulue whose legs were shattered during the shooting spree, disclosed that “I was in the church, but before the sermon started, I heard a gunshot that sounded like a banger.
“When I looked up I saw one man with a gun. I tried to escape from the east end of the church; but before I could do so, my two legs were shattered by bullets.
“I was later told that the gunman jumped into a vehicle after accomplishing his mission. I can’t understand the reason for the attack,’’ Ndulue stated.
A nurse at the Accident and Emergency Unit of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, disclosed that four of the injured persons brought to the hospital on Sunday passed on Monday while six had been referred to another hospital.
She said,” Four of them couldn’t make it, including a baby. Twenty two injured persons are still with us and they are responding to treatment,” the nurse added.
The Public Relations Officer of NAUTH, Chris Ngige, disclosed on Monday that 20 of the victims were on admission in the hospital, while four corpses had been deposited in the hospital’s morgue.
READ ALSO: Priest Survives Ozubulu Massacre, Hides behind the Altar
According to Ngige, “The four that we have in our mortuary died on the way to the hospital yesterday (Sunday). There are many mortuaries in Nnewi, so the remaining corpses could have been deposited in them.
“We also have 20 other victims who have been admitted to our hospital. They are in a stable condition and they are responding to treatment.”
Meanwhile security operatives are still carrying out investigations into the cause of the Anambra church killings, while on a man hunt for the gunman .
Source: Naija News