Connect with us


News

Ozubulu Massacre : President Buhari Commiserates with People of Anambra

Published

on

-President Buhari calls Anambra Governor over Ozubulu Massacre

-President Buhari describes Anambra church killings as  “an appalling crime against humanity”

President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Muhammadu Buhari  has on Sunday night placed a telephone call to Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra to sympathize with him and people of the State over the Ozubulu Church massacre.

The attack which took place early Sunday morning on St. Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area had resulted in the death of 11 worshippers while 18 others sustained injuries.

Buhari had earlier issued a statement through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, condemning the attack, describing it as “an appalling crime against humanity and unspeakable sacrilege”.

President Buhari also said that “there was no justification whatsoever to target Church worshippers and kill them in cold blood.’’

READ ALSO: Breaking: Gunman Killed eight killed people in a Catholic church in Anambra

He expressed his deep sympathy with the families of the victims, the Church leadership and the government of Anambra.

However, barely two hours after the release of the President’s statement on the incident, Shehu also confirmed that the President had a telephone conversation with Gov. Obiano where he commiserated with him, families of the victims as well as the people of the state.

He said: “The President has just finished speaking to Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State, in the course of which he commiserated with him, the famines of the victims and the citizens of the state over the tragic shooting incident this morning.’’

Naija News recalls that Gov. Obiano and the Commisioner of Police in the state had visited the scene of the Ozubulu massacre.

READ ALSO: Anambra Church Killing: Here Is The Man Gunmen Came For

Gov. Obiano had earlier said that the Anambra church killings occurred due to a dispute between two sons of the area and declared that all those behind the act would be apprehended.

The Commissioner of Police in charge of Anambra, Mr Garba Umar, also in an interview with newsmen in Awka on Sunday, revealed that the police had launched a manhunt on those behind the incident and gave an assurance that everybody behind the act would be brought to justice.

(NAN)

Source: Naija News

Ibukun Josephine Bankole was a Senior Associate at Naija News. A Mass Communication graduate, Ibukun is passionate about journalism especially in the areas of health and child related issues. She loves eating beans, singing, acting and giving motivational speeches. Ibukun is meticulous and has a positive approach to life. Contact me via twitter/Instagram @ibukunbankole_