Connect with us


Gist

Tragic! Generator Fumes Kill Newly Wedded Couple

Published

on

A newly wedded couple, Mr. and Mrs. Kabiru Mohammed, aged 32 and 27 years respectively died as a result of generator smoke in their apartment at Ikot Effanga Mkpa community on the outskirt of Calabar, Cross River State.
Naija News gathered that the couple got married two months ago in Jos where they were resided before relocating to Cross River.

The landlady of the house said she had cautioned the couple severally to stop using the generator in their apartment since she detected the situation.

She said: “I know Kabiru as a truck mechanic from Oyo State and was based in Jos, while the wife, Omowunmi too, was in Jos before she joined him in Calabar after their wedding, two months ago.

Read also: Father Stabs Son, Dumps Him in Ogun bush

“When they packed in newly, about eight weeks ago, they were keeping the generator outside but I do not really know what happened that made them change their mind to be keeping it inside the house.

“Each time they switch on the generator, the noise and smoke usually disturbed me because their bathroom is close to my room. I complained bitterly about the generator, but instead of taking it outside, the couple decided to keep it in their kitchen,” she disclosed.

She told NDV that on that day, they switched on the generator as usual and surprisingly, the generator was on till about 2.00a.m in the early hours of Saturday and then went off.

Read also:Is My Daughter Alive? Father Of Missing Lady Calls For Help

The landlady’s daughter, who also spoke to their reporter, said she got a call from Kabiru’s younger brother, Jide, who complained that Kabiru was not picking calls to his phone and asked her to check if he was in.

“I told him I will call him back, but he insisted that I should go and knock on their door, which I did, but no one answered. So I told him that whenever I see them, I will inform him.

“Suddenly, we saw the young boy who normally helped them to sweep the house and do some chores come around with his father and they started calling Kabiru’s phone and then opened the window and saw both of them lying down lifeless in the sitting room, I told the man that they cannot possibly be sleeping.

“So we informed the police and the door was broken and we saw their lifeless bodies in the sitting room, water was already coming out of Kabiru’s mouth, the whole place was still filled with the fume and smoke from the generator and the people, who entered the flat were coughing consistently,” she said.

Read also: Wife pays N10,000 to have husband killed because he married a second wife

“My mother warned them about the generator they kept inside their apartment, but they did not listen. We are still in shock, my mother is yet to recover from the incident, including the entire neighbourhood, Ikot Effanga Mkpa community, it is a big tragedy,” she mourned.

She said the police came and asked them to take photographs, but since the cause of death was already established, nothing else was done, their remains were taken back to Jos for burial because they were both Muslims.

Was a Senior Associate at Naija News. She is a graduate of Mass Communication, with specialization in Public Relations and Advertising at Master level. A go-getter, level-headed and charismatic individual. She has penchant for fashion, styles and Bollywood movies. Follow her on instagram @bouqui_gold

Advertisement