Connect with us


Kelechi Iheanacho scored the second as City beat Hull 2-0 on Boxing Day.




Kelechi Iheanacho scored the second as City beat Hull 2-0 on Boxing Day.

Goals from Yaya Toure and Kelechi Iheanacho and an own goal by Curtis Davis gave Manchester City a 3-0 win over Hull, but it could have been all different.

Pep Guardiola’s side failed to break the deadlock until the 72nd minute, when Toure converted from the spot, and then Iheanacho scored later, but Davis’ last minute own goal completed the score to further ease the pressure on City.


First Half

In this battle of the cities, both teams couldn’t have gone into this fixture with more contrasting fortunes. While one city is battling against the drop, the other is fighting to be crowned champion at the end of the season.

But it was Manchester City who showed first real intent, and as early as the seventh minute, Yaya Toure produced a shot from a mid-range free kick, but his effort was directed under the crossbar and was saved by the goalkeeper.


They didn’t look back after that attempt, as they dominated possession as one would expect, giving Hull the go around but Guardiola must have been disappointed that they didn’t create any real opportunities despite their dominance, and both teams will go into the break on level footing.

Second Half

City began the half by also keeping possession, however, it was Hull who almost went in front seven minutes after, as Harry Maguire had a good opportunity when he latched on to a cross from the wing, but his strike wasn’t accurate at all and the ball went well over the bar.


Hull must have been hopeful after that attempt, believing they can trouble City’s defence, which appears to have been their Achilles heel so far this season, but it just wasn’t coming together for the Tigers, as they just couldn’t keep momentum.

Then City went so close moments later, Kevin De Bruyne ran towards the goal to give his teammate support. He received a fantastic pass and unleashed a shot from the edge of the box, but it crashed against the left post, as that would have been the opener and what a brilliant opener it would have been.

The game was now opening up, as both sides took turns to create chances, but nothing came of them until the 72nd minute, when City were awarded a penalty and Yaya Toure stepped up to convert from the spot, 1-0.

At that point, Hull had been disarmed, and it was City looking like doubling their lead, and so it happened, as David Silva put the ball on a platter for Iheanacho, who scored from close range.

It looked wrapped up at this point, with barely 10 minutes left on the clock, and Hull then pressed on the self-destruct botton as if their misery wasn’t enough, as Curtis Davis put the ball into his own net to make it 3-0, City were able to hold on to the end, as they inflicted another defeat on Hull, but it all could have been different had Toure not scored that penalty.

Olawale Adeniyi Journalist | Content Writer | Proofreader and Editor.