The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor has disclosed that the Operation Rescue Finale launch by the command was making headway in its activities in the Sambisa Forest.
The commander while briefing newsmen at the headquarters, Wednesday, in Maiduguri, told journalists that troops has so far cleared almost the entire Sambisa Forest and have continued to make progress with good records in various operations in the last one week.
According to him, 17 Boko Haram fighters have been wasted while engaging troops fighting in various locations within the forest, an operation which also led to the rescue of 605 hosnewses.
While speaking on the money recovered from the Boko Haram fighters as well as the pile of weapons so far recovered, General Irabor said, ” the weapons are being destroyed as the army do not use them.” He, however, added that, the money are being return to the treasury through the appropriate channel after proper record had been taken.
He also said that Boko Haram fighter that have been arrested are in the custody of the Nigerian army where they’re being taking care of, and will subsequently be counseled before they are reintegrated into the society.
While answering questions on whether or not the military is ready to open the road to Kukawa local government in the northern Borno by December 4, 2016 as claimed by the Chairman of Kukawa local government , General Irabor said, there was nothing like that, as the road will remain close due to activities of the insurgents in northern Borno.