Connect with us

Advertisement
Advertisement

Nigeria News

Edo Govt Debunks Reports Of ISWAP Attack, Exposes Fleeing Bandits Guerilla Tactics

 

Obaseki Sacks Oboh As Head Of Edo Security Network, Appoints Replacement
Advertisement
Advertisement

The Godwin Obaseki-led Edo State Government has refuted claims that Islamic State in West Africa Provincr (ISWAP) carried out an attack at Ibillo-Igarra Road Junction, where they burnt a Wabaizigan patrol vehicle on September 22, 2022.

Recall that ISWAP had claimed responsibility for an attack on a police checkpoint in Edo State, Naija News reports.

Reports had emerged earlier that some unknown gunmen attacked the officers who were carrying out their official duty in the South-South state.

The deadly sect later said it was responsible for the attack which claimed the life of an officer of the police force.

Advertisement

But in a statement on Saturday, the Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Osa Nehikhare, said the attack was carried out by fleeing bandits.

He stated that this was revealed after a thorough investigation by the state security outfits involving the Police, Nigerian Army, Edo State Vigilante Network and Nigeria Civil Defence Corp.

“There is no evidence of ISWAP or its operatives in Edo State,” he said.

Advertisement

Nehikhare continued, “Government assures that it will continue to provide support to the security agencies in the state to tackle crime and criminality and also enhance patrols of the state’s borders to make the state most uncomfortable for the decimated bandits.

“The Edo State government restates its commitment to the safety of lives and property in the state and to the sustenance of a safe environment for citizens to go about their lawful businesses.”